Motor swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badassformula383lt1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1995 silverado z71 4x4 mods are in my sig. Im currently running a 355/th350 trans with a carb motor an is in need of a rebuild low compression on one cyl. I recently found a 6.5 turbo diesel swap with 211K miles complete with harness and ecm and all needed for the engine for pennys. Would it be worth it to swap to diesel? What else would i need to swap?

thanks in advance i figured this is a great place to ask need as much info as possible planing to make a decision soon.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I have a 1995 silverado z71 4x4 mods are in my sig. Im currently running a 355/th350 trans with a carb motor an is in need of a rebuild low compression on one cyl. I recently found a 6.5 turbo diesel swap with 211K miles complete with harness and ecm and all needed for the engine for pennys. Would it be worth it to swap to diesel? What else would i need to swap?

thanks in advance i figured this is a great place to ask need as much info as possible planing to make a decision soon.

i wouldnt do it, the 6.5 is a weak block and cannot handle any abuse, they were meant for fuel mileage more than anything else, if that diesel is a 94+ then you add in unreliable pmd issues too

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I sure wouldn't trade a 355 for a 6.5L....those are (apparently) pretty bad engines. I'm not familiar with all the issues, as I've never owned them.

You'd also need a more HD trans, as far as I know. I think the only options that the 6.5L will work with (bolt up) is the 4L80E, and NV4500.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I sure wouldn't trade a 355 for a 6.5L....those are (apparently) pretty bad engines. I'm not familiar with all the issues, as I've never owned them.

You'd also need a more HD trans, as far as I know. I think the only options that the 6.5L will work with (bolt up) is the 4L80E, and NV4500.

they also were mated to the 4l60e in the earlier n/a versions

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I am one of the biggest diesel fanatics you will find, but there is no way I would ever replace the legendary small block Chevy with a 6.5L.