Mode Actuator Repair/Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

I found this thread and @AK49BWL mentions springs and retainers falling out and causing the vent and defrost to never turn off. Sounds like that might be my issue and I can't get any air out of the floor which sucks with CO trying to have actual winter temperatures. I understand the mode Actuator is the easy one to get to at the trans hump, but I'm wondering what to look for with these springs and retainers and how to know by looking or poking around whether or not that's the case.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
If nothing is coming out of the floor, the mode actuator itself is suspect, as it moves the floor door directly. There's nothing between that floor door and the blower fan to obstruct those vents. As far as the springs and retainers, there are arms that attach to the mode door to also open and close the defrost and face vents, but they're all controlled by that one actuator. Someone else here had a nice clear picture of what it should look like, I wanna say east302... Ah yes here we go. https://www.gmt400.com/threads/no-heat-not-sure-what-the-problem-is.64912/post-1362250

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll put eyes on that in a bit. I think I have a mode actuator kicking around here somewhere too. Is there a calibration procedure for the actuator?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well crap. I just cycled the thing end to end and the actuator actuated and the arms and springs are all intact. Makes me think something else is amiss. Something that's gonna require. 100% disassembly to find.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the actuator is turning completely between the hatch marks on the housing and the linkage is intact, then it’s probably worth taking off the floor vent cover to watch the floor damper turn. Maybe something will stand out as there really isn’t much that can block air flow. It’s the damper attached directly to the actuator.

You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yeah, and I'm guessing it's probably the same for most of these but mine has one 7mm screw on the front and two clips in the back in order to remove that cover.

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMC lists 3 different actuators- one for the mode door, one for blend door and one for air inlet. Others have said mode and blend motors are the same.

I am looking for the air inlet actuator for my '88 because it is out of stock or no longer made. In the course of that search I looked at some GM parts websites, probably run by a dealership or GM, and one them had the arms/springs for about $25 each, if that is what is causing your issue.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My issue is that air is always coming out the middle vents. I suspect this is robbing enough to prevent defrost and floor from being as effective as they should.