Mini Bert! An s10... Maybe a ZR2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the axle ratio? Does it have the G80? Couldn't really tell from the photo.

I ran a 4.3 in my 99 NBS Silverado until recently. They are basically as reliable as any 5.7.

An advantage of the S10/Blazer 4.3 over the full size trucks 4.3 is the former does not use EGR, and I'm pretty certain it has MPFI injectors from the factory. At least my nephew's 03 S10 is like that. Not sure if 99 would be the same. May want to dig in into that, as I think the MPFI is much improved.

Also, I think the HVAC controls run off engine vacuum. We were trying to diagnose that S10 once and found a little vacuum line disappearing into passenger front wheel well, that was disconnected. Could not figure out what it was until later.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the axle ratio? Does it have the G80? Couldn't really tell from the photo.

I ran a 4.3 in my 99 NBS Silverado until recently. They are basically as reliable as any 5.7.

An advantage of the S10/Blazer 4.3 over the full size trucks 4.3 is the former does not use EGR, and I'm pretty certain it has MPFI injectors from the factory. At least my nephew's 03 S10 is like that. Not sure if 99 would be the same. May want to dig in into that, as I think the MPFI is much improved.

Also, I think the HVAC controls run off engine vacuum. We were trying to diagnose that S10 once and found a little vacuum line disappearing into passenger front wheel well, that was disconnected. Could not figure out what it was until later.

I'll have to do some digging...

Spent the night removing the shift interlock. I then removed some extra wiring - the neutral safety/range switch went bad, causing the gear select light to be stuck on "R". This caused the back up lights to stay on. The guys fix for that was running a wire off of the positive battery post to a toggle switch in the cab, then back to the back up lights. He turned them on/off manually. Much easier than replacing that $50 part...

Then I noticed that the kenwood stereo needed to be turned on/off manually every time you started/shut off the truck. I pulled the radio out and he had both the red and yellow wire hooked to a wire that was always hot. I switched the red to wire that is only hot when the key is on - all better. I'm guessing that I will find more pro level repairs haha.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm still searching for ZR2 I want, but your mismatch mirror is the newer version btw.

Though, MPG isn't going to be big difference but you have 6/8 of 5.7. ;)

The '99 ZR2 that I bought new was pewter. I loved the way that thing looked! It got about 19 mpg on the highway, 7 mpg pulling a 2 place snowmobile trailer loaded with atvs on a trip from MN to SoCAL sand dunes.

This ZR2 isn't my favorite color, but the fact that I can make it look similar to my k2500, and the fact that it was only about 10 miles from our house sold me on it. I paid $1800 which was probably $1000 too much, but it does have new toyo tires and all new ball joints and sway bar links etc - still need to take the tires off and see if the PO was telling the truth on that one... I plan to attach new inner/outer metal on the bottom of the 3rd door, new passenger side cab corner, new passenger side box wheel arch - then paint it flat white just like Bert. Nothing too fancy, but then I can lean dirt bikes up against it etc without caring.

What ZR2 do you want?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I'll have to do some digging...

Spent the night removing the shift interlock. I then removed some extra wiring - the neutral safety/range switch went bad, causing the gear select light to be stuck on "R". This caused the back up lights to stay on. The guys fix for that was running a wire off of the positive battery post to a toggle switch in the cab, then back to the back up lights. He turned them on/off manually. Much easier than replacing that $50 part...

Then I noticed that the kenwood stereo needed to be turned on/off manually every time you started/shut off the truck. I pulled the radio out and he had both the red and yellow wire hooked to a wire that was always hot. I switched the red to wire that is only hot when the key is on - all better. I'm guessing that I will find more pro level repairs haha.
Yup that's the downside of buying a previously owned vehicle. You never know how much dumfuckery has been done under the guise of "repair work ". When we were having passlock problems with my Burb summer before last, at one point (one day when it started and ran like normal) we took it to an alarm shop down the road from my job. The mess of relays and wiring hornet's nest the tech took out from under the dashboard made me wonder how the truck functioned with it in place. He said it looked like parts of 2 or 3 different systems....

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup that's the downside of buying a previously owned vehicle. You never know how much dumfuckery has been done under the guise of "repair work ". When we were having passlock problems with my Burb summer before last, at one point (one day when it started and ran like normal) we took it to an alarm shop down the road from my job. The mess of relays and wiring hornet's nest the tech took out from under the dashboard made me wonder how the truck functioned with it in place. He said it looked like parts of 2 or 3 different systems....

That is all part of the adventure, I guess.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 4 wheel drive wasn't working. I jacked the truck up and put it in 4x4 to see what was/wasn't working. The transfer case shifts nicely and the driveshafts function fine. The vacuum front axle actuator isn't working. I removed it, pulled on the cable, then clamped a vicegrip on the cable. Went for a ride and the 4x4 works nicely. I will replace the oem actuator with a posi-lok manual system.

I want to eventually put the posi-lok on Bert also, but won't do it until the oem actuator fails.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I had a 01 ZR2 for years, and probably one of the vehicles I miss the most. As a matter of fact, that was the truck that got me to start using truck forums, when I joined a ZR2 only forum(ZR2USA.com). Learned a lot there, and far as I know is still going, though not as active as it used to be.

All ZR2s had 3.73 gears, and G80. What a lot of guys used to look for, are the ones with manual trans, since they came with cast iron front diff housing, where the autos have aluminum. Was some added beef, for offroading, but definitely still not bullet proof. Seen a guy shatter one on the trail, with 33" mud tires and a bad bounce, while on the gas.

If your 3rd door handle is broke, there used to be metal ones for sale, not sure if they're still around. It's a common failure on S10s in general.

Check your wheel bearings, ZR2s like to eat them. It still having stock wheels is good for them, though.