Mini Bert! An s10... Maybe a ZR2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIG_1088

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
high mileage GM trucks from this era, whether it be GMT 400s or S-10s or what have you, are known for their wonderful uhh "wiring" jobs

old lydia, my first gmt 400 love, had 3 separate alarm systems, all in various states of working order, shoved under the dashboard just enough out of sight i couldn't see em easily until i really dug in

i had to remove the dashboard out entirely to get all of them out... but at least it solved the phantom draw issue :D

as for some tips i got, check the intake manifold gaskets, heater core, and replace the fuel spider (read up more on the 4.3s fuel poppets, you'll understand why)

i like your truck, although personally i'm more leaning towards the early 2nd gens (94-97) because they look less bland to me, but that doesn't mean i won't be happy with a later 2nd gen

have fun with your s10, treat em right and they'll outlive your great grandchildren

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the axle ratio? Does it have the G80? Couldn't really tell from the photo.

I ran a 4.3 in my 99 NBS Silverado until recently. They are basically as reliable as any 5.7.

An advantage of the S10/Blazer 4.3 over the full size trucks 4.3 is the former does not use EGR, and I'm pretty certain it has MPFI injectors from the factory. At least my nephew's 03 S10 is like that. Not sure if 99 would be the same. May want to dig in into that, as I think the MPFI is much improved.

Also, I think the HVAC controls run off engine vacuum. We were trying to diagnose that S10 once and found a little vacuum line disappearing into passenger front wheel well, that was disconnected. Could not figure out what it was until later.
My 02 S10 had poppet injectors.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 4 wheel drive wasn't working. I jacked the truck up and put it in 4x4 to see what was/wasn't working. The transfer case shifts nicely and the driveshafts function fine. The vacuum front axle actuator isn't working. I removed it, pulled on the cable, then clamped a vicegrip on the cable. Went for a ride and the 4x4 works nicely. I will replace the oem actuator with a posi-lok manual system.

I want to eventually put the posi-lok on Bert also, but won't do it until the oem actuator fails.

I want to say there was a vacuum ball or actuator under the battery tray on my dad's late S10 Blazer? It's been a long time. That ended up being a vacuum line that had either rotted off or fell off. Hooked it back up and 4wd was back.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While I have never owned a ZR2 model, I did have a loaner once. I have owned several 1st & 2nd gen S10, Sonoma, Blazer & Bravada models. 2wd, 4wd & awd. 2.2L, 2.5L, 2.8L, 4.3L. TBI & Vortec. reg cab, ext cab, crew cab & suv. auto & stick trannys. So I've obviously been around the block a few times.

Some of this may have been answered already:
That is a ZR2.
Those are just generic aftmkt stickers.
The drivers side mirror is a 94-mid98, plug&play, just not as strong.
Stock 3rd door handle is plastic, known to break. There were aftmkt metal ones available.
The fender flares make the fenders & bed ZR2 specific. The wheelwell lip faces outwards instead or inwards.
Yes, there are vacuum lines coming off of the back of the HVAC controller.
red/yellow radio wires are tied together? sounds like they cut the plug off. if they just spent the $8 on the harness adapter, it would've been cleaner in working correctly.
Check & make sure that all of your spark plugs match, can't tell how many 4.3L's that I've worked on that had mismatched plugs because disliked fighting w/ the lack of space to change them. Hint: disconnect the intermediate shaft & move it out of the way & create a bigger hole to work w/.
Yes, vacuum diaphram under the battery tray. vacuum line is usually dryrotted.
Also, the vacuum lines along the drivers fender by the ABS module are also usually dryrotted.

If you decide to swap out the radio, you do have the ability to fit a double din unit, but you have to swap out the dash 1st. Your donor will be a 98-00 Bravada or 2002+ s10/ sonoma or Blazer/Jimmy. You just need the main dash & the bezel. Everything from your dash goes onto the donor including the wiring harness (in 2002, they changed the way the radio is tied into the electrical system & several of the plugs are diff).

Also, if you would like steering wheel radio controls, again an easy swap/upgrade. plenty of write-up's around.

s10forum.com lots of great info.

Last edited:

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took the wheels off tonight. It looks like the previous owner has put on new uca's, ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, shocks, pads & rotors. I guess one weird wiring fix isn't a big deal. He/I did good.

You must be registered for see images attach

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is what the stock wheels look like.

After sanding the corroded areas, prime, then satin black wheel paint.