Miles per gallon.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
you guys are funny! As a Canadian we do use the Liters/100Km. that's kind of tough to really picture, 100 kms is 62 miles.

My Burb is American and it's in miles but it also has Kms. the sierra is Canadian and has Kms but also has miles. my sierra is primarily a farm truck and I have not paid attention to mileage.

what's funny is no matter what unit of measurement, Miles/Gallon or Liters/100 Kilometes, we call it mileage. LMAO. which is another problem up in Canada as we use both.

We may be a Metric country but SOOOOOOO many things are still Imperial.

Every single blueprint for everything starts in Metric and is then normally converted to Imperiel. Thank goodness!

Metric may make more logical sense but who wants to talk in 1000's of millimeters? like frig those numbers are ridiculous. 10 Feet is 3048 MM. I much prefer the Imperial system but understanding both and being able to convert from one to another is absolutely necessary.

Up here in Canada we have to have both SAE and Metric tools. If you dont have both then you dont have all the tools.

so back to the fuel. it's much easier to visualize Miles/Gallon than L/100Kms. there is no kilometers/liter as that number would be a ridiculous one.

1G=3.78L
1L=0.26G

theres a big difference there and so that's why Canada uses the Liters/100Kms.

the only way to really visualize that is to know a route that is 100Kms. I always have to visualize from one city to another. but I cant visualize the liters. I can visualize gallons and if I need to I will convert the miles to Kms. LOL

anyways my burb gets about 17.5 miles/gallon when its running perfect and I think that's quite good.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused, are we talking about Imperial (UK) gallons or US gallons? It takes a little over 1.2 US gallons to equal 1 Imperial gallon. Just thought I'd throw this into the mix and stir the pot! :anitoof:

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season worst in 20yrs F!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you guys are funny! As a Canadian we do use the Liters/100Km. that's kind of tough to really picture, 100 kms is 62 miles.

My Burb is American and it's in miles but it also has Kms. the sierra is Canadian and has Kms but also has miles. my sierra is primarily a farm truck and I have not paid attention to mileage.

what's funny is no matter what unit of measurement, Miles/Gallon or Liters/100 Kilometes, we call it mileage. LMAO. which is another problem up in Canada as we use both.

Every single blueprint for everything starts in Metric and is then normally converted to Imperiel. Thank goodness!

Metric may make more logical sense but who wants to talk in 1000's of millimeters? like frig those numbers are ridiculous. 10 Feet is 3048 MM. I much prefer the Imperial system but understanding both and being able to convert from one to another is absolutely necessary.

Up here in Canada we have to have both SAE and Metric tools. If you dont have both then you dont have all the tools.

so back to the fuel. it's much easier to visualize Miles/Gallon than L/100Kms. there is no kilometers/liter as that number would be a ridiculous one.

1G=3.78L
1L=0.26G

theres a big difference there and so that's why Canada uses the Liters/100Kms.

the only way to really visualize that is to know a route that is 100Kms. I always have to visualize from one city to another. but I cant visualize the liters. I can visualize gallons and if I need to I will convert the miles to Kms. LOL

anyways my burb gets about 17.5 miles/gallon when its running perfect and I think that's quite good.
Do not forget we have to put French crap on everything. All Good

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season worst in 20yrs F!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused, are we talking about Imperial (UK) gallons or US gallons? It takes a little over 1.2 US gallons to equal 1 Imperial gallon. Just thought I'd throw this into the mix and stir the pot! :anitoof:
Hence the Metric system. The Great Reset. You will own nothing and love it. I was 24 in Circa 1984.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The standard to metric conversion is actually a huge and ongoing problem in the steel fabrication world.
Domestic steel is measured by shape and form and weight per linear foot.
"Offshore" steel is measured by Kilos per meter.
The big problem is that there are a few overlaps where those sizes coinincide but the weight per meter doesnt get included.
Back in the 90s the us decided that all government contracts would be in metric.
The problem and the one thing that really does keep me from sleeping.
That mathmatical oddity of standard to metric conversion back in the day leaves a whole lot of of undersized steel.
Its a really wierd thing.
Proud as hell about the places we built.
Tear that **** down so we can sleep at night.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Metric system is why people get old and die. They're making room for younger folks with flexible minds.

I've used Metric wrenches since the middle-'70s and I'm still not used to, or comfortable with Metric stuff. I still prefer to think of it as a French plot to screw-up the rest of the world, and they're succeeding mightily. In particular, I deeply resent the Celsius temperature scale. Freezing to boiling water in 100 degrees is nuts. 200 degrees, I could deal with. The damn degrees are too "big" as-is. The single redeeming feature of Celsius is that Forty Below is uniformly damn cold in either scale--C or F.

I get by. When I have to. Get off my lawn!

once you adopt it, you'd never go back, like using a code reader (imperial) instead of a scanner (metric). :)

do you have a 1972 Gran Torino in your garage?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
blueprints are in millimeters, here in Canada, not meters. like an entire school or whatever. Iv built the cabinetry in many facilities and all the drawings are in millimeters. every single detail. LMAO

But since the prints are to scale, they can easily be measured in MM and scaled up to the real size in MM and then converted to SAE.

Iv done that many times because my shops prints were always missing critical data. like where the cabinets were actually orientated within the room.

my shop redraws the prints into SAE and most shops do this. LOL