Master Cyl Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Colemire

Reaction score
Anyone on here switch their truck over to the later M/C, say 2003 tahoe, to get rid of the funky soft pedal these trucks have? I read on another site that this really helps and since I just replaced everything else on my 97 Z71 I'm working on, thought I'd give it a try. You have to use an adapter for the front line.

Mike Colemire

Reaction score
After searching through several pages, I come to the conclusion that it's worth the swap since I need a M/C anyway. Anyone that has comments on this, please reply.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Read the sticky at the top. Some had a good experience with it others not so much.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I just did this on my 96 c1500. I just purchased a 2002 MC and the adapter from autozone. Works good, didn't really notice a major improvement but does feel like less pedal travel.

Replaced the original because it was full of broke down seal particles.

Last edited:

hb32

Reaction score
I replaced mine with a 2002 mc and noticed a huge difference. Lots of conflicting posts on the forum about the swap.

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with hb32, a lot of conflicting info. I can tell you the 2002 3/4 ton mc does work in our trucks, I used it on my build and have zero problems with pedal feel and operation, I also did the 1 ton calipers and 3/4 ton pads (larger piston in those calipers=more apply pressure up front). If you go that route, one note: you'll need to bend the tabs on the back of the pads to hold them firmly in the calipers. I went with Centric premium rotors and power stop z-36 pads and have very well performing brakes

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had mine swapped for several years as mentioned. I just did a front brake job on my truck. I was going to do the 1 ton cal swap, but I need to also replace the rotors. I dont usually use autozone, but let the manager who also had a gmt400, talk me into using the gold series pads and rotors. It is a big help. It now feels like the truck wants to stop. Old rotors were heat cracked, and glazed over. As for the MC, it made a big difference in my truck. Much better peddle feel.

97 bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this upgrade on my 97k 1500 along with the nbs front spindle upgrade with the 2 piston calipers and bigger rotors, worth every penny it was like night and day

You must be registered for see images attach

Mike Colemire

Reaction score
I'm going to try it, I just replaced rotors, pads, drums, shoes and a hardware kit. Also I put new wheel cyl on and the brake still don't feel like they should. I was going to do an automated bleed with my solus scan tool and it didn't have that option on it which I thought was weird. I've done several 99 up with it.