Manifold stretcher

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I HATE exhaust work! Every time something goes wrong and this was no exception. We have a California emissions Yukon that we are doing an engine swap on and it has the air injection manifolds. The one on the drivers side shrunk. I had to stretch it about 1/8". Here is what I came up with. A grade 8 bolt and nut, a bearing and a flattened lock washer. The nut when unscrewed puts pressure on the bearing and the flattened lock washer sits against the manifold allowing the bearing to turn.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nice work. :) I've got the Lisle spreader, works great, but your gizmo is nice for having the pieces around to pull it off.

Richard

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I usually drill the manifold bolt holes out, cast iron drills like butter.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can see how that might work in some cases. With this one, I think I would have ended up with just a little bit of port mis-match!

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The air injection manifolds on my last square body gave me nothing but headaches. Headers solved that.

If this was a vehicle that I was keeping then I would have done just that. My old Denali was a CA emissions as well and I put a set of JBA shorties on it. This one will be in the fold until I get the dually fixed and then it goes off to my detailer.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score

I HATE exhaust work! Every time something goes wrong and this was no exception. We have a California emissions Yukon that we are doing an engine swap on and it has the air injection manifolds. The one on the drivers side shrunk. I had to stretch it about 1/8". Here is what I came up with. A grade 8 bolt and nut, a bearing and a flattened lock washer. The nut when unscrewed puts pressure on the bearing and the flattened lock washer sits against the manifold allowing the bearing to turn.

Cool beans!

Great adapating to the situ at hand.

:)

TXVortec454

Reaction score
I thought I was the only one that this has happened to. I had to drill out my manifold on the TBI 350 in my K10. I still was not able to get one bolt in on cylinder #1. No leaks, so I stopped caring.