M.P.G. question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took out the 160 thermostat and put the 195 degree one back in and I'm back up to 14 mpg (from 11.5mpg). That was very mixed driving as well, mountain pass, city, and highway.

Its well documented that the lower temp thermostats kill mpgs, so if you have one you might want to go back to factory specs.

I experienced just the opposite! Higher temperature killed my power and my mileage. Anything over 195*F makes my 350 Vortec gutless. I run a 170*F thermostat and my 350 sits rock steady at 178*F even on a 105*F day. My old TBI 350 in my G20 van also liked to run cool.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1990 tbi 350... 2wd with 700r4 and i get between 15 and 17 in town. Freeway is maybe a little better if I keep it under 70 which I rarely do because I swear I have the most powerful tbi 350 out there cause it likes to cruise at 90. But then the mpgs drop to about 10 or worse.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
1989 K1500, SB/RC. 5LM60, 3.73's, 350, stock tire size (whatever they are) Combined I see 13-14's. Best I ever saw was 16 & some change or maybe low 17's all expressway.

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I experienced just the opposite! Higher temperature killed my power and my mileage. Anything over 195*F makes my 350 Vortec gutless. I run a 170*F thermostat and my 350 sits rock steady at 178*F even on a 105*F day. My old TBI 350 in my G20 van also liked to run cool.

It's not that I don't believe you, but your experience seems to be an anomaly which leads me to believe that perhaps something else is going on with your Vortec. I have no experience with TBI's so I wont comment on that.

The fact of the matter is, your car will run rich until it reaches operating temperature. With the lower temp t-stats your vehicle doesn't reach the necessary temperatures, thus it uses more gas by continuing to run rich for the entire duration of your drive.

Unless you have some serious power adders, or have you vehicle tuned to run on lower temps, a lower degree thermostat is not needed and is killing your mpgs.

This is well documented on the LS1 community and on this forum as well.

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Changed the cap and rotor thinking it might help. Even if it doesn’t, it definitely needed to be changed.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
98 ASTRO averaged 18 than dropped to 12 (cargo heavy and that was combined) replaced the bad egr and made it closer to 16mpg. I think the cat got ruined tho.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not that I don't believe you, but your experience seems to be an anomaly which leads me to believe that perhaps something else is going on with your Vortec. I have no experience with TBI's so I wont comment on that.

The fact of the matter is, your car will run rich until it reaches operating temperature. With the lower temp t-stats your vehicle doesn't reach the necessary temperatures, thus it uses more gas by continuing to run rich for the entire duration of your drive.

Unless you have some serious power adders, or have you vehicle tuned to run on lower temps, a lower degree thermostat is not needed and is killing your mpgs.

This is well documented on the LS1 community and on this forum as well.

I really wish the myth of a 160°F thermostat keeping a Vortec or even TBI engine running rich in cold start enrichment mode would vanish.

~45°F cold start captured on a wideband. I am in closed loop long before either thermostat opens. The thermostat temperature will not make the warmup any shorter or longer. Long term fuel trims are enabled by 140°F on the stock tune. Short terms become active long before that. It varies depending on the IAT temps but the factory L31 Van tune goes into closed loop at something like 80°F as long as the 02s have adequate activity.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I have always run this engine on a 170°F thermostat and it has always given great fuel mileage.

The times I have run it on the dyno in back to back pulls, the first pull is always measurably more powerful and the engine looses power each pull as the coolant temps rise. The last run the fan clutch kicked in and lost a total of 15 ft/lbs and about 10 hp compared to the first run. Run 2 was down 5-8 tq and matching HP as well.

The tuning is set to pull a large amount of timing with both elevated coolant and IAT temps. At 188* it is pulling 3° of timing. At 203° it is pulling 5°. At 120°F the IAT table starts pulling timing. The timing pulled there is equally aggressive and pulls another 4-5° by 150°. In hot weather with the a/c blasting in town or stuck in traffic it is completely possible to have -10° of timing at WOT from a stop. Feels like the engine dies before the truck starts to roll. Running with the timing retarded makes the engine run even hotter which makes it pull even more timing.

Last edited:

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, I'm sure it does. Just as the engineers at General Motors designed it too. I'm inclined to let them do my engineering.

But hey if it works for you more power to ya, literally in this case.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, I'm sure it does. Just as the engineers at General Motors designed it too. I'm inclined to let them do my engineering.

But hey if it works for you more power to ya, literally in this case.

Literally more power and more response especially in hot weather which is about 9 months out of the year here.

You have to remember the engineers have to build something that works from Alaska to Death Valley and it is a comprimise at best.