New L31 low vacuum question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoosierlong90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paper clip is two steps ahead of useless.

I don't care about compression ratio. I want to know the cranking compression PRESSURE as an educated guess as to camshaft position--advanced or retarded from where it should be.

Are #5 and #7 AT LEAST half-an-inch apart EVERYWHERE they run next to each other?
Schurkey, I don't know the compression pressure right now.

Spark plug wires do indeed need to be straightened up because in fact they do touch before the dizzy, see pics.

On a side note I want to know where you found that sweet air cleaner spacer. I need a shorter than stock spacer for the proflow system on the G20 van and do not want to settle for a crappy plastic spacer.
I found the spacer on Amazon. They have them in several sizes.

How's that 395 run?

Thanks for the input guys. It is well appreciated!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Schurkey, I don't know the compression pressure right now.

Spark plug wires do indeed need to be straightened up because in fact they do touch before the dizzy, see pics.

How's that 395 run?

Thanks for the input guys. It is well appreciated!
Ran decent in my Vortec powered Express.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the one you have?

Do you have any clearance issue with the coil wires getting squashed by the air filter housing?

FYI - you s/b able to jack up your pressure to 20 PSI with that spring, that's what I'm running.

Hoosierlong90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this the one you have?

Do you have any clearance issue with the coil wires getting squashed by the air filter housing?

FYI - you s/b able to jack up your pressure to 20 PSI with that spring, that's what I'm running.

On my 83 G20 van I used a 1" TBI spacer on a 3704 manifold and a stock 454 air cleaner without smashing the plug wires on a large cap HEI.

454 air cleaner has a bit of a power bowl built in and has a massive ~8" x 3.5" oval inlet.

You must be registered for see images attach

I just bought a 454 air cleaner on Ebay for the 87 G20. This one is off a RV and does not have the air prheater flap or inlet on it. The housing is the same as the TBI 454 vans though.

I pull the goofy 200* baffle ring off the van air cleaners, it is merely epoxied into place from the factory. Clip on to it with vice grips, give it a good tug and it pulls right off. Removing that stupid baffle was worth nearly 10 rwhp on a near stock TBI 350 in my 83 van.

Only thing I need to find for the 87 is a factory 454 van air inlet duct. The factory 454 air cleaner is capable of flowing more than enough CFM to feed cooler outside air to the healthiest of small block builds.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 83 G20 van I used a 1" TBI spacer on a 3704 manifold and a stock 454 air cleaner without smashing the plug wires on a large cap HEI.
I was talking about the 2-wire connector on the ignition coil which is mounted underneath the air cleaner. My 14" Edelbrock cleaner had a drop bottom which squashed them. I bought a Moroso flat bottom plate and now have enough clearance. If I go with that fancy spacer, I'll need to measure the difference with the OE one. Plus, the fancy one doesn't have a port for the breather hose going to the valve cover. But I do like how it looks ;)

Hoosierlong90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was talking about the 2-wire connector on the ignition coil which is mounted underneath the air cleaner. My 14" Edelbrock cleaner had a drop bottom which squashed them. I bought a Moroso flat bottom plate and now have enough clearance. If I go with that fancy spacer, I'll need to measure the difference with the OE one. Plus, the fancy one doesn't have a port for the breather hose going to the valve cover. But I do like how it looks ;)
I'm using this air cleaner from Edelbrock with no problems. My coil may be positioned a little different than yours though due to different intake probably.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm using this air cleaner from Edelbrock with no problems. My coil may be positioned a little different than yours though due to different intake probably.

Yeah, I have the 43661 (blue) and it hits mine. Well, not anymore :biggrin:

Edit: I have the 3704 intake, maybe that's the difference?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a large cap HEI on mine, coil is inside the cap. I do not like the stock small cap HEI TBI distributor.