Lunch Box Locker for my 10 bolt rear end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The difference in the lock rite, and the no slip, is, the lock rite is gear locked, so it is harsher when locking up. The no slip, locks up different. Here it is on summits sight. Read through the description, it tells you the difference. I think these things are good to 500 HP or more. Oh and it also is on sale now.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwt-92-0785-3005

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seems kind of silly to drop $400 on a Powertrax or similar product when for another $60 you can get a brand new Eaton clutch type posi carrier IMO. At least concerning a truck that mainly stays on the street. The lunchbox locker would probably be more useful off road, but that doesn't seem like the intended application here.

https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-19559-010-Limited-Spline-Differential/dp/B006HETO8M

EDIT - Actually once you figure in the additional cost of the new bearings and an install kit it may be more of a price difference than I thought. I do think the Eaton would be more comfortable to drive on the street, though.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The lunchbox lockers like the Powertrax are interesting as a low budget option though, I've looked into them briefly in the past. The one thing I remember that stuck out to me is that they supposedly will only fit in a factory open carrier, so if you have a truck that has the factory G80 locker you'll have to swap to an open carrier to use them.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually once you figure in the additional cost of the new bearings and an install kit it may be more of a price difference than I thought. I do think the Eaton would be more comfortable to drive on the street, though.
The one thing I remember that stuck out to me is that they supposedly will only fit in a factory open carrier
Yeah, mine's open and I just replaced the bearings when I changed the gears to 4.11 and really don't want to have to redo the set up.

The difference in the lock rite, and the no slip, is, the lock rite is gear locked, so it is harsher when locking up.
That's a good point only more $$$. This is what I'm looking for, different options and opinions. Thanks guys for your input! Anyone else do this?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not a direct comparison but I had an Eaton in a 12 bolt in 67 c-10 I had that rolled around on 33x18.5 M/T Sportsmans. You'd never know it was even back there until you lit it up.

You would need carrier bearings and the only set up should be re establish/shim the back lash.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I had one in my old daily driven ZR2 blazer 10 years ago and I HATED IT!!

The no-slip looks interesting because it has springs to help with engagement but any of them without springs uses torque to keep them engaged. This is a problem because if you drive like Kenny previously said he does, going around a corner fast from a stop they clunk VIOLENTLY! Your forced to let off the gas to let them slip less violent.

That part could be manageable depending on your driving and if its your daily or not BUT...

Worse yet, if you live in a cold climate, if you go around a corner too slow OR to fast you loose both rear wheels. I've been stuck in the middle of the road with traffic behind me needing to go from drive to park to reverse to drive then back to park back to reverse and back to drive multiple times until they finally re-engaged. This was with all sorts of different fluids trying to remedy the problem with no success. But again, this only happened in colder weather starting at around 40F and getting worse as it got colder.

So speaking from experience, avoid the lunchboxes like the plague if its your daily AND your in a cold climate. Otherwise take this as it is and use your judgement if you want to deal with the downfalls to benefit from the positives.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had one in my old daily driven ZR2 blazer 10 years ago and I HATED IT!!

The no-slip looks interesting because it has springs to help with engagement but any of them without springs uses torque to keep them engaged. This is a problem because if you drive like Kenny previously said he does, going around a corner fast from a stop they clunk VIOLENTLY! Your forced to let off the gas to let them slip less violent.

That part could be manageable depending on your driving and if its your daily or not BUT...

Worse yet, if you live in a cold climate, if you go around a corner too slow OR to fast you loose both rear wheels. I've been stuck in the middle of the road with traffic behind me needing to go from drive to park to reverse to drive then back to park back to reverse and back to drive multiple times until they finally re-engaged. This was with all sorts of different fluids trying to remedy the problem with no success. But again, this only happened in colder weather starting at around 40F and getting worse as it got colder.

So speaking from experience, avoid the lunchboxes like the plague if its your daily AND your in a cold climate. Otherwise take this as it is and use your judgement if you want to deal with the downfalls to benefit from the positives.
Good info. All the more reason to like the Powertrax no slip. IMO, you may be better off looking at the junk yard for a diff with a locker. Learn the RPO codes, and find one with the options you want. Bearings are not expensive, and It is not hard to replace them.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worse yet, if you live in a cold climate, if you go around a corner too slow OR to fast you loose both rear wheels
Yeah, back in the 70's I had a 69 GTX with a Dana Posi in Milwaukee. I got caught in a snow storm and couldn't get up a slight incline, had to get it towed to a gas station and leave it there overnight and took the bus home, lol. But, I live in AZ and it's not my daily so, I'm still on the fence, thanks for the info!

Bearings are not expensive, and It is not hard to replace them.
I have a modified bearing to slip on and off the pinion and the crush sleeve eliminator kit so it wouldn't be too hard but I just got my lash and pattern set. I hate doing things twice, ha ha.