Lunch Box Locker for my 10 bolt rear end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ I'm going to have to agree with that completely. More expensive for sure, but the TrueTracs are awesome. Super reliable and smooth torque transfer, and no wearable parts like the clutch type posi carriers. I have a TrueTrac in my '70 Monte Carlo and absolutely love it.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yeah, back in the 70's I had a 69 GTX with a Dana Posi in Milwaukee. I got caught in a snow storm and couldn't get up a slight incline, had to get it towed to a gas station and leave it there overnight and took the bus home, lol. But, I live in AZ and it's not my daily so, I'm still on the fence, thanks for the info!

No, in the cold weather instead of locking both rear wheels or only locking 1, it disengaged BOTH rear wheels. It was the worst thing to happen in traffic, put it in drive and it just clicks, put it in park to stop momentum, in reverse to try to engage them just to have them click more, then back in park.... Repeat that process until eventually they engaged and it lurched forward or backward.

I was sitting in traffic for what seemed like 3 days but it was probably more like 3 minutes trying to get those damn things to lock up one sub-0 morning.

EDIT for clarification, I was also having problems with my vacuum actuated front differential this winter too so I was also trying to get the front to lock up unsuccessfully too. lol. Like I said, I hated that damn thing with a passion by the end of that winter.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, in the cold weather instead of locking both rear wheels or only locking 1, it disengaged BOTH rear wheels
Ouch! That's not good! Do you remember which brand locker it was? I don't know but it seems to me the springs in these lockers wouldn't allow it to totally slip?

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed a PTRAX no slip in a Buick with a BUILT 455 many yrs ago ...I ran it at the track probably around 40 passes with drag radials ,never had a problem with it and it did work ...that was with 530 ft lbs of tq in a BOP 8.2 28 spline 10 bolt.....FWIW

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm wanting a TrueTrac for the 14-bolt FF in my K2500; I was looking at the PowerTrax Loc-Rite thinking it was a limited slip type, guess I'll just have to pony up for the Detroit.

Now if only I could find something for the front diff.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I'm wanting a TrueTrac for the 14-bolt FF in my K2500; I was looking at the PowerTrax Loc-Rite thinking it was a limited slip type, guess I'll just have to pony up for the Detroit.

Now if only I could find something for the front diff.

Eaton makes an E locker for the 3/4-1 ton front diffs

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, they discontinued the E-locker for the larger IFS unfortunately.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, they discontinued the E-locker for the larger IFS unfortunately.

Which makes zero sense, I wouldn't ever think about putting a front locker in an 8.25 front diff or whatever the stock GMT400 size is.