Lunch Box Locker for my 10 bolt rear end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a lunch box locker rather than a limited slip or a G80 grenade after some research online. I have an 88 C1500 Silverado with a 5.7L which, if I had to guess, is probably putting out somewhere around 350HP, with a stage 2 (600HP rated) 700r4 and a 2300-2500RPM (advertised) stall TC and 4.11 gears (according to Yukon Gear). If I stomp on it from a dead stop, it'll smoke the one tire that grabs, so I have to feed the pedal to it so I can get off the line without so much loss of traction.

OK, enough background, here are my questions;
Has anyone done this, which one did you use, how do you like it, how easy was it to install, would you prefer a limited slip over the lunch box?

Here's an article I've looked at, just want some more opinions. It seems the lunch box is the less expensive route but they even range from ~$250 to as high as $420 with the Powertrax Lock-Right at the high end.

https://www.chevydiy.com/lockers-and-spools-for-chevy-and-gm-the-ultimate-guide/

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like you, Ive been looking at these things for a long time. My favorite is the powertrax no slip. $450+ is a little steep, but you know as well as I do, you get what you pay for. The real reason I havent put on in yet, is that I take off around corners fast a lot of the time merging into traffic. I dont want my wheel locked for that. How is you MPHs with those 411s.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear mixed things about the mini lockers from racers but good things from the low speed off-roaders. If I was doing one and didn't want the clanging and banging of Detroit or dragging a wheel around the corner I'd probably look at the Auburn. Basically identical to the Mopar Sure-grip. Spring loaded, no clutches, and service parts are available.

I'm curious what else comes up.

Last edited:

HPIII

Reaction score
I installed a powertrax in my stock 10 bolt (see attached picture). It has held up now for over 6 months. As stated above I’ve seen mixed reviews, I chose it simply because if I’m going to drop $1000+ dollars in the rear differential I want to get rid of the 10 bolt all together. I’ve got a 6.0 with some work, 3600 stall and ~400 hp at the tires if that matters.

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd probably look at the Auburn
That's a possibility but then we're getting higher in price. I'm wondering if I need something like that, after all, this ain't a drag truck and doesn't put out that much HP.

HPIII

Reaction score
How hard was the installation? Did you need to get other parts like a gasket, etc?

Installation was easy. Just need some new oil for the differential and some good sealant/rtv for the cover. Took a couple of hours on a Saturday morning.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: