LS Wiring Troubles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bm1912

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I bought an LS motor from the site lsx4u.com and I got the stand alone package. I was working on the motor and I went away for a summer internship and paid someone to put the motor in for me. Over the summer the guy is telling me that he got it started and it runs great. But when I come back from my internship. He stops replying so I have it towed back to my house and I’m not getting power anywhere so I tried to charge the battery which was reading 2.9 volts so I assumed bad battery and I go and buy a new one. And put it in the truck. I’m still not getting any power into the den and the truck does nothing when I turn the key. What do I do? Also the pic is what it looked like when I got it back. I started going through the wires trying to figure stuff out and it’s got me confused. I’m in Desperate need of Advice

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks horrible..
First place I'd start is follow the ground wire from the battery and make sure it's connected good.
Then follow the positive wire. Use a meter and make sure it has power at the end and keep following all the positive wires. Could be a blown fuse or a wire broken or something.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also check the relays.
Check for voltage at pin 30. If none check pin 87 incase it's wired backwards.

Quick dirty way to test is use a short wire and connector pin terminal 30 and 87.

It's gonna be hard to explain how to diagnose it.

Where are you located?

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

Bm1912

Reaction score
Okay my ground is connected to the body of my truck then that grounded is connected to the back of the truck. It looks like it’s okay. And then I haven’t checked the power but I followed the positive wire. It has two leads straight off the battery. One to the starter and the other goes to the alternator. On the starter the positive wire stops. But off the alternator the positive wire has four connections. One to the battery of course. Then one to the fuse box where it stops. One to the new wiring harness. And another that’s a brown wire that follows into the rats nest. I’m. It sure exactly where it leads yet.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Yikes... Agreed and checking for proper grounds first - one on body, and one on the engine block or cylinder head. Also, check to see if you have power at your buss bar on the passenger side firewall, and be sure there is power heading into the truck, and also check the fusible links. Also, I don't like the way that wiring on the alternator post looks, where is the large wire leading to? On mine, it is connected to the buss bar like the TBI was.

Bm1912

Reaction score
The large wire leads to my fuse box how do I see if I have power headed into the bus bar?

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Test for battery voltage at the buss bar terminals. Sounds like they re-routed the wiring straight to the fuse block, though. Is that correct, or are you talking about the LS fuse block? Normally the positive cable goes from battery to the starter, from the starter to the buss bar, buss bar to feed everything inside and also provide a connection point to the alternator.

On my LS swap, I kept everything as was designed for the TBI setup for cleanliness and simplicity and simply added a wire from the buss bar to feed my standalone relay box. It may be well worth your time to redo the wiring because this looks like it will cause a lot of issues.

Bm1912

Reaction score
Test for battery voltage at the buss bar terminals. Sounds like they re-routed the wiring straight to the fuse block, though. Is that correct, or are you talking about the LS fuse block? Normally the positive cable goes from battery to the starter, from the starter to the buss bar, buss bar to feed everything inside and also provide a connection point to the alternator.

On my LS swap, I kept everything as was designed for the TBI setup for cleanliness and simplicity and simply added a wire from the buss bar to feed my standalone relay box. It may be well worth your time to redo the wiring because this looks like it will cause a lot of issues.
Okay so I posted a video on YouTube to kind of show what’s going on
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bm1912

Reaction score
The stand alone harness I bought from lsx4u.com only needed like 6 wires connected to it from the old harness. I really don’t know what this guy was doing.