low4x4's dual alternator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
had to change up the idler pulleys again and install a shorter belt, due to the smaller supercharger pulley I just got installed...also got the 4th battery on its way with a couple of dual battery trays, I hope will work....did some cleaning up, of the wiring and getting rid of the front battery tray, also adding a second controller on my dual fan set up....pics coming

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
a lot of parts showed up today for the quad battery set up...here is a pic of the wiring I am going to do for that set up
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm very interested to see what you're going to be powering with quad batteries. That's some bookoo reserve, there! I understand if you don't want to let everyone know exactly what you're running, but if you do feel like showing off some equipment I'd love to check it out. I'm an audio geek and I love messing with this type of stuff.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
I am currently running 2-600 watt 4 channel amps a 200 watt 10"sub and a 425 watt 4 channel amp in the bed also am looking into a larger inverter for powering bigger items

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
another part to the puzzle...2-dual battery trays ...in stainless.....nice

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any idea which batteries you're going to run? I personally recommend Odyssey Extremes, run them in both of my trucks. I switched to them after I had some problems with Optima. They're expensive, but come with a four year free replacement warranty and I haven't seen many batteries with better specs on paper.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
I already have 4 red top optima's...never had a problem in 8 years

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Love your set up you are working on. Definitely won't have a problem starting the truck in the cold, LOL.

I don't know how much you know about batteries but with more than one always check on their health with a load tester. If one battery starts to fail it can pull your other good batteries down with it and if left for to long it can kill them as well.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I already have 4 red top optima's...never had a problem in 8 years

Right on, sounds like you've had better luck than I have. I used to run Optima yellow tops exclusively until one day I went to start my truck and it did absolutely nothing, just clicked. This was on a battery that was less than a year old had always been maintained properly. I emailed Optima, they gave me a giant list of hoops to jump through before they would even consider warranty replacement. Out of curiosity I did some research on them and found out that they had sold production to Johnson Controls and are now made in Mexico. Apparently there's been a decline in quality from them in recent years as a result of this. Rather than mess with Optima's warranty hoops I decided to buy the Odyssey because it had better specs on paper anyway and was made in my home state.