low4x4's dual alternator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
right now we have a sbc 355ci coverted tbi to mult-point fi ... don't use a/c so I wanted to put in an extra alternator to cover for the amps I am running...two 600 watt and adding another 425 watt in the bed...here is what we are starting with
You must be registered for see images attach

here is one option
the bracket is a common replacement on the 96 and up vortec motors I found mine on ebay of a v-6 4.3l motor

here it is installed

I was going to use this setup but didn't like how the tensioner was placed so I went with this setup

this is off a 95 4.3 l van 2500 ...there was one forum that had used the 88-95 v-6 brackets...
but around here they are really hard to find
I have a extra 95 alternator 160amp hanging around,so I decided on using this bracket....here is how I did it

this I what I took off

carefully clamp the tensioner and drill it out to 1/2 inch, if you bracket has threads
and a tensioner already mounted here you can skip the next couple steps

next you tap out both holes 1/2 threads on left and 1/4 pipe on right

I found a 1/4 pipe adapter that fit and drilled out the center (5/16) to match the dimple in the tensioner

I JB welded it in and cut off the extra

using a 4 1/2 inch 1/2 inch bolt I secured the tensioner and ran a locking bolt on the back side then mounted the unit on the block

the next step I had to turn to u tube for reclocking the head of the alternator to the correct location so the stud is not near the valve cover

and that is as far as I got today....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cool project, thanks for the write up! I considered running a dual alternator setup as I also run a few amps, however in the end it was more cost effective and simple in my situation to run one high output alternator. Unfortunately it's not really keeping up so in the next couple months I'll be upgrading again.

DC Power Inc offers pre-fabricated dual (and triple) alternator brackets for these trucks, but your method will likely be much cheaper.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
it was 25 bucks for the 95 bracket and 10 bucks for the hardware...on a naturally aspirated truck a different belt size will be required

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
it was 25 bucks for the 95 bracket and 10 bucks for the hardware

Can't beat that! Especially considering you had the extra alt laying around.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
I got the rest of the setup done

I had to use the idler off the tensioner of the 96 setup

but all the pulleys were junk yard or reused from old setup....you can always reuse pulleys just buy new bearings for them ...I usually buy them in lots of 10
the bearing I use is a federal mogul 203-FF

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sweet that should really help out with voltage drop and A draw.

Looks great under there!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That engine compartment is purdy.

I just looked on DC Power's site out of curiosity and they no longer offer the brackets for our trucks, GMT800s only now. Makes this write up even cooler.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That engine compartment is purdy.

I just looked on DC Power's site out of curiosity and they no longer offer the brackets for our trucks, GMT800s only now. Makes this write up even cooler.
you should see it in person its amazing under that hood

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
thanks...a lot of different things had to come together for me to be able to throw this together...used parts for the GMT400 are getting harder to find

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
slowly the parts are coming in...getting ready to do: 4 batteries in the bed, all fully isolated...still need one more battery