Loss in ride quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
What would help are the specs of your truck. Year, mileage, etc. I'm assuming these are stock components we're talking about??? As already stated it could be a number of things. Shocks would be the first place I'd look. Also, if you're control arm and A arm bushings are worn the bumps will feel more pronounced. At least mine did until I changed them out. The only thing left to change in my truck are the shocks, they are due.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently my ride quality has been worse and worse. It started when I helped move my uncle's tools across town to a new shop. Then it got worse when I had to hug a curb when a big rig was stopped in the middle of the ride. And finally it got to where I'd like to fix it earlier today when I helped my dad haul a huge fish tank. Now the ride quality is very bumpy as if I can feel every single bump in the road. Even the idle has gotten rough. I havent checked anything yet because I dont know what to look for in terms of right or wrong.

Ok, what do you mean by poor ride quality? NVH (Noise , Vibration, and Harshness) issues are extremely subjective and have a very, very wide range of symptoms and causes. You stated that you noticed the issue after hauling a (presumably) heavy load. This would put a strain on the rear suspension and tires. If a tire starts developing a belt separation or tread issue it could cause a minor vibration which is exacerbated by bumpy roads. The shocks also could have been on their last legs and were pushed beyond their typical, unload range of motion and taken out seals or internal valving. Something could have shifted in the suspension or steering itself due to increased load on worn components. Lots of possibilities, but a thorough inspection by you (or a good mechanic) should help shed some light on the subject.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ride is stiffer, as if every single rock in the road is a small pot hole. And it's very bumpy as I'm accelerating from a dead stop but smooths out and doesnt get worse with speed until I have to stop from a stop again.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just added air about a week ago. 30 PSI all the way around.

You have a big heavy suburban, air the tires up to 35-37. They are severely under inflated at 30 an will not wear or perform properly at that pressure...

I would start with new socks. With the low millage they are more than likely OE an they are just old. Working them by hauling stuff probably busted one...

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a big heavy suburban, air the tires up to 35-37. They are severely under inflated at 30 an will not wear or perform properly at that pressure...

I would start with new socks. With the low millage they are more than likely OE an they are just old. Working them by hauling stuff probably busted one...

Second bumping up the PSI to 35 thats what I set my truck to

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the recommended PSI is 32 front and 41 rear. But apparently the tires were rotated at one point so the front tires are the ones rated for 45 and the rear tires are rated for only 30. And the 30 PSI has been fine so far and I was planning on getting four all new tires come tax refund.
As for low mileage, that's only on the (apparently) rebuilt engine. The body has the average mileage for a truck this old. I'll write it down when I go out next.