Looking to replace fuel pump.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
True. My truck is a beater for work/play. So the appearance wasn't a main concern. Even so it can be done well so that it looks good.

One of these days I'm gonna tackle it and try to use the existing piece of bed that I cut out to use as the cover plate.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I like that idea.

I have an under the rail tool box on my 98 and I'm constantly messing with the "sending unit" in the tank since it's custom build for the diesel application. I figure if I can make a flush cover, the tool box is going to cover it up anyways. When I want to mess with the pump, I just pull the tool box off quick and pull the cover plate off.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I'm thinking about cutting mine, I have a toolbox that sits off the floor so I could just do this and slide the toolbox back when I need to. I have a new Delphi pump sitting in my living room. I suppose if you cut the bed right you can just put hinges one one side of the piece you cut out and a tab on the other side to keep it from falling through...I am intrigued by this idea! Sounds way easier to me than either dropping the tank or pulling the bed!

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you guys just screw two right angle pieces of aluminum under the bed and let it hang just past the new opening you can just screw that hatch right back into place..

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
I'm thinking about cutting mine, I have a toolbox that sits off the floor so I could just do this and slide the toolbox back when I need to. I have a new Delphi pump sitting in my living room. I suppose if you cut the bed right you can just put hinges one one side of the piece you cut out and a tab on the other side to keep it from falling through...I am intrigued by this idea! Sounds way easier to me than either dropping the tank or pulling the bed!

It is. Like I said before; a 10 min swap. No busted bed bolts. No torn or bent fuel lines.
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?11423-Fuel-pump-access-panel

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Excellent write up! I'm going to put a moat of silicone around my panel, I don't like the idea of water leaking directly over the pump.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I don't want to seal the cover, just make a lip 1/4" away from it all the way around. Though I suppose I could seal it...hmmm