Looking for what might be a "non-standard" serpentine belt size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deckeda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
'89 7.4L with A/C but without air pump. (I want to remove the air pump).

On rockauto.com I see listings for with A/C, without A/C, and with air pump but I haven't come across listing without air pump.

So a question is, in '89 was the air pump standard on the 454, or not? I'm guessing it's standard, because (for example) O'Reilly's site lists only two sizes, depending on whether or not A/C is there (101 5/8" vs 103" , but a difference of less than 2" extra inches there seems weird to me, unless perhaps there are other differences such as idlers, tensioners etc.)

Am I going to have to tie a string around everything, hope to hold the tensioner in an approximate position, and then mark/remove it and measure? And then hope all 6-rib belts are the same width?

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I have a '95 Suburban with the 7.4l engine with A/C and without the air pump and the belt is Gates K061005.On Rock Auto's website when clicking on that belt info it shows you how to decipher the PK number.When deciphering that number on my belt,which is 6PK2554,it says the belt has 6 ribs is metric and for automotive use and is 2554mm long 100.5''(8.37 ft.).I currently have a 140 amp alternator on the engine and is a little longer but that's a story for another time :) Hope this helps.

p.s. ignore the photo date

You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You want to really drill down belts and hoses. Go to the Gates Automotive, website. Very specific on what your engine has or has not. 95 K2500 no smog pump. 95K2500 over 8600 lbs has smog. Does not have ac but has ac pulley or not. Gates is very specific. Good parts photo's. The belt "PK" numbering system is an effort to standardizing belt sizing. So you get the same number just choose your manufacturers. And they offer toolbox stuff once in while. I got some belt gauges one time.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The last 2 digits of the part number are the length designation. So for example instead of xxxx54 you might need xxxx52 or 50. One that didn't come equipped with the pump might not take the same length belt as one that's been deleted. Different pulleys, different routing, different bracketry? That xxxx52/50 or whatever you need may have never come on a Chevy truck, but may be available for a Caprice for example.

Often times deleting something gets more complex then a belt swap. A piece of string and measuring it and making sure the belt will route over the pulleys correctly goes a long way.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my K2500 the difference between standard alternator 105 amps versus 250 amp alternator is from 55 number to a 56 number. Everything else the same.

deckeda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why? Seems pointless to me. If it's broken...fix it.

This is a C3500 pickup, not the squarebody Suburban of that year. An actual GMT400.

Schurkey, I've asked previously about the air pump, something I had not seen since my '74 Camaro (CA emissions) many years ago. The consensus was that it did little if anything to clean the air ... I live in a county where emissions and visual testing does not occur, and one half of the system is already gone and blocked off on the driver's side. Oh, and the metal pipe that comes out of the pump is broken, so any air pumped just exits the pipe before ever entering the exhaust manifold.

I need to get a set of brass plugs for the passenger side manifold, remove the remaining piping, pump ... and get a new belt.

I'll look at Gates and/or use a piece of string.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Schurkey, I've asked previously about the air pump, something I had not seen since my '74 Camaro (CA emissions) many years ago. The consensus was that it did little if anything to clean the air ...
GM is not known for blowing money on stuff they don't need.

Depending on the vehicle and model year, air is pumped into the exhaust manifold to sustain HC and CO combustion into water vapor and CO2. But this isn't appropriate in closed-loop because the extra oxygen would screw-up the O2 sensor readings. In closed-loop, it's either blown directly into the catalytic converter, or diverted into the air cleaner.

If your vehicle diverts to the air cleaner, the only time the AIR system is "useful" is at startup or other open-loop operation--then the AIR system is used to directly reduce HC and CO, and also speed-up the heating of the catalyst which helps prevent catalyst plugging.

I need to get a set of brass plugs for the passenger side manifold,
If you're going to do this, at least buy the correct plugs. They're probably inverted-flare, not pipe-thread.

An alternative to a shorter belt could be an AIR "dummy pulley"; a pulley and bearing on a bracket that takes the place of the AIR pump.

A shorter belt is preferable, but if you can't find one the bypass "dummy pulley' could be an option.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why? Seems pointless to me. If it's broken...fix it.
Why are you so invested in talking people out of removing the smog b u l l s h i t from their trucks? You reply in every thread trying to say they should keep it. Not everyone needs smog equipment or has to get inspections, and it's more worthless junk to get out from under the hood. Why pay money to fix something unnecessary when I can remove it for much less money?
This is a C3500 pickup, not the squarebody Suburban of that year. An actual GMT400.

Schurkey, I've asked previously about the air pump, something I had not seen since my '74 Camaro (CA emissions) many years ago. The consensus was that it did little if anything to clean the air ... I live in a county where emissions and visual testing does not occur, and one half of the system is already gone and blocked off on the driver's side. Oh, and the metal pipe that comes out of the pump is broken, so any air pumped just exits the pipe before ever entering the exhaust manifold.

I need to get a set of brass plugs for the passenger side manifold, remove the remaining piping, pump ... and get a new belt.

I'll look at Gates and/or use a piece of string.

Here's the plugs I used and a wrench that helped remove the air piping from the manifolds. When I removed the WORTHLESS smog equipment from my 454 I just measured with a piece of string to get the new belt

plugs on amazon

flare wrench on amazon