Looking for advice on basic engine mods to boost performance.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonic1994

Reaction score
Here is the breakdown. And I apologize if this is long, or a duplicate. Last spring I bought my dream truck a 1992 GMC Sierra SLE Single cab 4x4. The body had about 159,*** miles on it. Spent most of its life on a farm. The person I bought it from took it and refitted it with a crate 5.7 engine. I got it with roughly 1000 miles on the new engine. It runs great, no issues at present. I have since spent most of my time upgrading suspension as that system needed refining along with standard replacement of fluids, general maintenance/wear&tear modifications. I then fitted it with a 6" rough country lift kit, 17" pro comp wheels, and 35" K02 tires. I spend a lot of time in the mountains camping and enjoying my time outside. Not necessarily Overlanding, but I do hope to get more into that as she goes. My questions are directed to any basic engine mods that will help increase performance. Like I said I drive in the mountains a lot, and would love to be able to get more power and performance. Also, I live at a high altitude. just below 9,000 feet. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. I'm new to this, but hoping to dive in further and create a truck that will not only last but perform. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 35

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a crate 5.7 engine.
WHICH "crate 5.7 engine"?

Stock-replacement? GM Performance? Aftermarket performance? Cheap parts-store production-line rebuilt junk?

What transmission?

I then fitted it with a 6" rough country lift kit, 17" pro comp wheels, and 35" K02 tires.
Probably needs all that removed; or deeper gears front/rear.

What gear ratio currently?

Is this a 1/2, 3/4, or 1-ton? If you've got a half-ton with the craptastic 10-bolt 'n' 254mm rear brakes, you need an entire rear axle. The 9.5" ring gear 14-bolt semi-float unit from a 4WD six-lug 3/4 ton drops right in with a rear u-joint change; and brings far better rear brakes with it.

any basic engine mods that will help increase performance. Like I said I drive in the mountains a lot, and would love to be able to get more power and performance. Also, I live at a high altitude. just below 9,000 feet.
Supercharger/turbocharger comes to mind. You've got more than enough trouble getting air into that engine at altitude.

Exhaust work--headers, non-plugged catalyst(s) in the stock location and quantity, larger exhaust tubes, decent muffler/resonator.

Verify fuel pressure.

Silverado1994

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Sonic.

My first question is , how much performance are you after? Do you want just a little more / mild or a significant increase in power?

Secondly has the 700R4 transmission been gone through yet and if you don't know can you ask the seller?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
35s and mountain roads? You need torque. I'd start with a cam, but that's not a "basic" engine mod. I'd go with an exhaust, cut out the restrictor in the air box, and a tune. If you get much above stock, you'll need to replace your fuel pump. The factory Vortec pump is a drop-in replacement that is a massive upgrade.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Exhaust, cam, tune, re-gear for 35's if it has the stock gearing it is not enough in the low end.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesiree. That and headers along with free flowing exhaust.

I'd even say the stock manifolds are fine. The Y pipe and stock cat are much bigger problems and cheaper to replace. Easier too, I know I'm not gonna try to do headers on my 30 year old engine.