Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm just now trying to get into cars. So you could say in not car savvy. I learning a lot of things and was just wondering what mods y'all would put on a 350 C-1500. The engine and transmission has less than 30k. The engine was in a 97 suburban, but I'm putting it into a 4x4 97 Tahoe. I'm looking on spending roughly 15k on making it better. That's everything from cosmetics, tires, radio and performance. Any and all suggestions are welcome. What are the things I can do with this to make it better. Thank you in advance. (Yes I know I'm putting a RWD transmission into a 4W, already getting that done)

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm putting it into a 4x4 97 Tahoe. I'm looking on spending roughly 15k on making it better. That's everything from cosmetics, tires, radio and performance.
Your priorities are somewhat backwards.

FIRST you need to assure that the truck is safe to drive. Steering, suspension, brakes come before performance, cosmetics, radio, and other luxuries. SECOND, you need to take care of any deferred maintenance--typically everything rubber, plus all fluids and filters, and potentially other neglected items.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Third - make it clean and comfortable, especially if you are in the dating scene. A loud truck with a loud stereo does not impress as well as a clean truck with no broken plastic.

Fourth - Better flowing exhaust

Yes I know I'm putting a RWD transmission into a 4W, already getting that done
What are you doing with the front suspension? Just running without CVs? Why not keep the 4x4 transmission? I'd do that before swapping in a 2wd transmission, even if the replacement only has 30k on it.

Reaction score
Third - make it clean and comfortable, especially if you are in the dating scene. A loud truck with a loud stereo does not impress as well as a clean truck with no broken plastic.

Fourth - Better flowing exhaust

What are you doing with the front suspension? Just running without CVs? Why not keep the 4x4 transmission? I'd do that before swapping in a 2wd transmission, even if the replacement only has 30k on it.
No, like I'm putting the engine and transmission from my suburban (2WD), into a Tahoe (4WD). They're the exact same besides the size of the drive shaft. Basically going to be turning it into a 4WD trans.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was also wondering like specifics, what are parts and things y'all would install on it. Brands, etc.
Genuine gm works good, ac delco hit and miss depending on what, gates for belts and hoses. X2 what Erik said. Wait on cosmetic. Get it cleaned and running solid. I'm not sure what your budget is but it will add up real quick buying new sensors, worn parts , broken stuff. You having 4wd have more things to service then having a 2wd

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm putting the engine and transmission from my suburban (2WD), into a Tahoe (4WD). They're the exact same besides the size of the drive shaft. Basically going to be turning it into a 4WD trans.
So you're gutting the transmission so that the output shaft and tailhousing can be changed to accommodate the transfer case?