Looking for advice for a more powerplant ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No question, go with a 383, you won't believe the difference in power from a 350 let alone a 305. ... Am now having Old EFi program a chip for me. You will need to do that.

Could you please expand upon this?
Do you have a new tune being sent to you?
I have tunercatz, so if I had the file, I might be able to do something like this.
The best part is that if I was to go this route, the truck would still look bone-stock...

Redneck357

Reaction score
No question, go with a 383, you won't believe the difference in power from a 350 let alone a 305. Bought our one owner GMC k1500 in 2016 to tow our 5,000 lb travel trailer, despite several bolt on improvements the original 350 with only 150,000 on it was never very good, really struggled up mountain passes or against headwinds. In Nevada, against a headwind, fairly level, we had to drive in 2nd all day. In October, bought a remanufactured long block 383 from S&J Engines in Spokane with roller cam for $2300, friend helped me install it. There is no comparison in towing capacity. The stroker will tow in 4th gear most of the time (I do watch trans temp) and I can pretty much go as fast as I want, but keep it under 65 for safety's sake.

Best thing, its a direct drop in swap. Am now having Old EFi program a chip for me. You will need to do that.
Did you just run the stock efi system? And how much is your EFI chip running you?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you just run the stock efi system? And how much is your EFI chip running you?
I doubt your gonna get an answer. O.P. started this thread 2 years ago and hasnt been seen for a year.
Yeah, IIRC he did get some tuning done to it and was having some issue(s) with it but, I can't remember exactly what it was.