looking for a good radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anyone can recommend a source for a good quality radiator for my 92 Chevy 2500 with a 5.7 I would greatly appreciate it. I'd like to find one with a pretty thick core

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm happy with my TYC. It seems to be well made and came very well packed for shipping. The only downside is the cap sits a little high and rubs the hood liner. I bought it through Rockauto. It's a thick 2 core, but the newest version of my part number is supposed to be a thick single core.

My radiator will be too tall for your brackets and shroud, but I'm sure they'll have a version for your truck.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, am trying to get the thickness measurements on both but Champion is closed on fridays so will try stores. Napa only carrys Denso and Napa brand radiators, the parts man says theirs are both 1 1/4” thick, says that’s factory size and suggested using the big block rad which bolts right in. So lots of options

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, am trying to get the thickness measurements on both but Champion is closed on fridays so will try stores. Napa only carrys Denso and Napa brand radiators, the parts man says theirs are both 1 1/4” thick, says that’s factory size and suggested using the big block rad which bolts right in. So lots of options

Just make sure the big block radiator isn't taller.... you having a 92 will probably be safe, but at some point the 454 got a taller radiator which would require the brackets and shroud I mentioned earlier.

I'd look closely at the Denso. They're the 2nd largest automotive supplier in the world. Only Bosch is bigger, last I knew, and they do put a heavy emphasis on quality. My fuel pump is a Denso.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duel core, fits like a glove!

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just make sure the big block radiator isn't taller.... you having a 92 will probably be safe, but at some point the 454 got a taller radiator which would require the brackets and shroud I mentioned earlier.

I'd look closely at the Denso. They're the 2nd largest automotive supplier in the world. Only Bosch is bigger, last I knew, and they do put a heavy emphasis on quality. My fuel pump is a Denso.
Thanks, I’ll do that. I know denso is Toyota OE

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Thanks, I’ll do that. I know denso is Toyota OE

Denso is to Toyota as Delphi is/was to GM.... well before Delphi went bankrupt, split, and morphed. Denso makes stuff for everyone now, even GM. They split from Toyota in the 50's, if I recall correctly.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 99-00 Tahoe/cop Tahoes got the standard height/double thick/drop in radiators. 2500 got the tall radiator, and it seems the tall double thick was a 3500 item? At any rate I've had decent luck with Spectra.
You can run a tall radiator if you get the corresponding mounts and fan shroud from the junkyard.