looking for a good radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Performance Radiator just told me they strongly recommend a copper/brass radiator for any cast iron block because of "galvanized corrosion" that aluminum causes. Anybody have any knowledge about that?
Sure. Most vehicles since 1990 have had an iron block and aluminum radiator. Aluminum radiator are superior to copper/brass radiators. Corrosion is an issue, but the tradeoffs are worth it.

Dannyw

Reaction score
If anyone can recommend a source for a good quality radiator for my 92 Chevy 2500 with a 5.7 I would greatly appreciate it. I'd like to find one with a pretty thick core
I have a perfectly good used one out of my 97, 5.7. I only replaced it for my restoration. Because I went with new everything.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lots of iron block engines, including ours, run aluminum/plastic.

They probably meant galvanic corrosion.... it's between dissimilar metals and an electrolyte. If you change your coolant I'm sure it'll be fine. If it was ever an issue, the automakers have solved it.

I just looked up my truck on thier website..... thier plastic/aluminum radiator is DOUBLE what I paid for my TYC.
Thanks, that TYC sounds good. I found a copper/brass pipe ne at my local wreckers with three rows and 2” thick and no corrosion at all visible looking throo the fill hole. I haven’t had time to get it started yet, got the wrong power steering pump from the store. If it doesn’t work I’ll get a TYC

azmikep

Reaction score
Great info on the Aluminum Radiators. I’ve never heard this before. I agree that changing coolant and keeping your eyes open that they’re fine to run.
Someday when I win lotto and drop a all aluminum block 572 in there I’ll worry more lol.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Question...do they make a bigger 3 row for the 454? I am not finding anything, and being in Texas, I want all the cooling capacity I can get.

on edit: see below....should have looked a harder. :doh2:

Last edited:

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any input on sizes for the trans cooling lines and how much coolant? I plan on buying 4 gallons plus a couple of distilled water. Swap seems pretty straight forward. Do these trans lines direct for or come with adapters? I'll be doing the job on Sunday morning. Thanks.