Look how they massacred my boy...Now what to do about it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
So the shop called today and said the alignment guy got the camber all squared away, didn't really explain what the issue was so I assume they'll tell me when I get go to pick it up. They also added that I needed new calipers and lines... So +500.00 to whatever the suspension and steering issues were. Also mentioned the rear was sloppy so I could use some type of joints. I'm probably around 1500.00 at the moment. . If so, that would put me at more than I paid for the truck... Just yo make it driveable lol. Man I hate myself.
$500.00 for calipers & lines? Ouch.
Everybody has their own level of experience, but for me I'd find that to be a fairly easy, straight forward relaxing couple of hours in the driveway on a Sunday afternoon. With a minimum of just a few hand tools.
...and at a cost of near less than 1/2 of that estimate.
I'd be doing the job, thinking to myself..."Damn! I'm saving $$$. I'm actually making $$$. Hmmm...I'm worth $125.00/hr! F*ck I'm good! Screw those clowns."
With the money saved, I'd throw a set of new rotors at it at the same time.
Even still, a truck for $1500.00 is going to require some TLC. That's a given.
Now you're into it it for 3 grand. A safe(r) running, rolling, stopping 4x4. With a lift.
The truck looks to be pretty clean. Rust free?
If the frame isn't questionable, has proper exhaust, all the lights & gauges in working order & it has decent tires, in today's market, that's a $5500.00-$6500.00 truck (+!) any day of the week.
Maybe more, if you clean & detail the h#ll out of it.
Right now, there's buyers spending $3Gs on what you paid $1500.00 for.
I'd say you're ahead of the game.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If those U-bolts are loose, replace 'em. They're torque-to-yield. If they've been allowing things to wiggle around in there, they're probably trashed. The new ones are cheap. Don't take the chance.
Inspect those lower plates for corrosion/rust & stretched holes. Known problem area on these trucks.
Check the leaf spring centering bolt's condition.

This one ain't good.

You must be registered for see images attach

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$500.00 for calipers & lines? Ouch.
Everybody has their own level of experience, but for me I'd find that to be a fairly easy, straight forward relaxing couple of hours in the driveway on a Sunday afternoon. With a minimum of just a few hand tools.
...and at a cost of near less than 1/2 of that estimate.
I'd be doing the job, thinking to myself..."Damn! I'm saving $$$. I'm actually making $$$. Hmmm...I'm worth $125.00/hr! F*ck I'm good! Screw those clowns."
With the money saved, I'd throw a set of new rotors at it at the same time.
Even still, a truck for $1500.00 is going to require some TLC. That's a given.
Now you're into it it for 3 grand. A safe(r) running, rolling, stopping 4x4. With a lift.
The truck looks to be pretty clean. Rust free?
If the frame isn't questionable, has proper exhaust, all the lights & gauges in working order & it has decent tires, in today's market, that's a $5500.00-$6500.00 truck (+!) any day of the week.
Maybe more, if you clean & detail the h#ll out of it.
Right now, there's buyers spending $3Gs on what you paid $1500.00 for.
I'd say you're ahead of the game.
$4000* lol. I paid 4k and am about 3 into it.

Definitely not rust free [I live in Long Island, NY. so its just salt and crap weather all the time] But it is pretty much ROT free. So at some point i plan on cleaning up the undercarriage a bit and undercoating.

The truck market by me is pretty insane actually. My neighbor offered me 6k without even looking at it, and when i dropped it off at the shop all mechanics stopped what they were doing to come outside and look at it. Everyone asking me if i was selling it lol

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
$4000* lol. I paid 4k and am about 3 into it.

Definitely not rust free [I live in Long Island, NY. so its just salt and crap weather all the time] But it is pretty much ROT free. So at some point i plan on cleaning up the undercarriage a bit and undercoating.

The truck market by me is pretty insane actually. My neighbor offered me 6k without even looking at it, and when i dropped it off at the shop all mechanics stopped what they were doing to come outside and look at it. Everyone asking me if i was selling it lol
Yeah, everybody always ask if mine is for sale. It is, for $15,000. I turned down $7000 for it about a year and a half ago. Since then, I rebuilt the rear end, and put an Eaton trutrack, some 373 gears, and changed every bearing, and race in the differential. A week and a half latter, I blew up the trans, so I had a performance reman done, with HD master rebuild kit, a shift kit, and Corvette survos. Then after all that, I went through the front end, and put a set of Hankook Kenergy 275/60/15 tires all the way around, after the alignment. I put $5000 in my truck rite at a year ago. So some moron thinks He's going to buy my truck for $3500. No, that's not happening.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yeah, everybody always ask if mine is for sale. It is, for $15,000. I turned down $7000 for it about a year and a half ago. Since then, I rebuilt the rear end, and put an Eaton trutrack, some 373 gears, and changed every bearing, and race in the differential. A week and a half latter, I blew up the trans, so I had a performance reman done, with HD master rebuild kit, a shift kit, and Corvette survos. Then after all that, I went through the front end, and put a set of Hankook Kenergy 275/60/15 tires all the way around, after the alignment. I put $5000 in my truck rite at a year ago. So some moron thinks He's going to buy my truck for $3500. No, that's not happening.
Kenny, your truck should be worth at least $25K with everything you've done to it!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kenny, your truck should be worth at least $25K with everything you've done to it!
$25,000 naaaa, but $15,000, all day long. The only week point is the millage on the engine @ 265,000 +, but it's still running good, so.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
ITS DONE. GOING TO PICK IT UP NOW. 900 bucks+tip even g.

Seriously?! F that man, learn to do this yourself. That's beyond ridiculous. $212 for calipers? Even with a 30% markup that's just insane. I could keep going but you got taken for a ride, I just can't fathom how you'd be OK with paying that much money for so little work.

I guarantee they slapped these in.