Longevity of OEM distributor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t necessarily veiw Taiwan parts as bad. They are not communist, and there’s actually some good stuff coming out from there.
Taiwan is VASTLY superior to mainland Chinese manufacturing in most cases. The metals used are typically much better quality, and plating and coatings are often quite good. I've worked as a bicycle mechanic for a decade, and until recently Taiwan was the epicentre of the industry. High end stuff used to be made in Japan, and budget stuff in Taiwan, now the cheap stuff is from China, or Malaysia and the high end stuff from Taiwan.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Taiwan is VASTLY superior to mainland Chinese manufacturing in most cases. The metals used are typically much better quality, and plating and coatings are often quite good. I've worked as a bicycle mechanic for a decade, and until recently Taiwan was the epicentre of the industry. High end stuff used to be made in Japan, and budget stuff in Taiwan, now the cheap stuff is from China, or Malaysia and the high end stuff from Taiwan.
I am guessing the bicycle parts from Malaysia are Shimano as I buy some casting reels from the same plant.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many years ago I bought a NEW exhaust manifold on Ebay for my 95 K1500 truck, It came stamped Vietnam, I never heard or seen anything like that in parts before.
Yeah, Dorman (and others, I suppose) source manifolds from China and Viet Nam.

My machinist friend says the Viet Nam-made manifolds are even worse than the Chinese; and the Chinese manifolds need to be planed flat and smooth before use because the Chinese machining is so poor.