Long tube install tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going to get the hedman long tubes put in my 95c1500 in the near future.

Any good how tos, or suggestions? Engine have to be jacked up? From top or bottom? Etc. Figure that enough folks have done this, but can't seem to Google up good information.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the Hedmans on my truck, they dropped in from the top, and I had to pull a motor mount. I also discuss building a new crossmember because I also installed cats. From my build thread, starting at post 32: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/89-stepside-way-cool-jr.46961/page-2

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:18 PM #32
Started physically putting the headers on the truck tonight. The driver's side dropped in easy, but the pipe points right at the transmission crossmember. The passenger side is a tighter fit, and I don't quite have it in yet. The crossmember on that side has a thinner section for the exhaust to pass over.

Well, crap. I'm at a stopping point for the night, but I was thinking about hoisting the motor to get the header in, and it dawned on my that I'm going to be taking the transmission crossmember out to cut and weld the driver's side for clearance. How much you want to bet that if I pull the transmission tailhousing to one side that passenger side header will drop in place?

I got the O2 bung welded in and I mocked up the driver's cat behind the header. With the crossmember cut down and a little tweak to the pipe, the cat will go right over the crossmember, then a 90* under the transmission tailshaft, then another 90* to the ball flanges on the X-pipe. Both cats will be hanging about 4" behind the collectors. I got a 4' piece of 2.5" pipe, thinking I still had some pipe left from the Suburban's exhaust. Nope. I'm going to have to cut some short connecting pipes between the ball flanges, the X-pipe, and the mufflers, and I'm hoping there's enough to get the mufflers all the way under the bed. If I mount the mufflers vertically, the X-pipe will hit both of them straight on.

I'll be sure and post a pic when I get everything mounted. Now if I could just fit that NASCAR boom tube I have in the garage...

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:29 PM #33
Took the transmission crossmember out tonight. Can't wiggle the engine over enough to drop the passenger header in. Looks like I'm going to have to break the motor mount loose.

I got the crossmember out to cut it up and found the transmission slot is cracked out. Doh! A previous owner went to the trouble of getting a slotted piece of metal to weld in place, but just used it as a washer instead. It's gouged a bit and the metal in the crossmember is cracked out. I cut the crossmember for exhaust clearance and welded it all up. Tomorrow night I'll finish wire-wheeling the transmission mounting hole area and weld the slotted piece in as it should have been done years ago.

Getting real tired of all the stupid I'm finding on this truck.

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:09 PM #34
I'm on the downhill side of a 12 day work week, and the weather warmed up a bit. I got the passenger side header in, bolted the starter in, and then tried to stab the dipstick. No go. You have to put the dipstick in before the starter. I'd been fighting with the motor mounts and the crossmember, and had to stop to eat, so I didn't make it back out into the shop. Getting the dipstick and starter back in place are priority one. Cutting the heater hose back an inch to stop the dribble on the intake manifold is two.

The modded crossmember is back out. It's no bueno; still interferes with the cat. I have a sketch for a new crossmember from 2" angle iron, some leftover 1.75" x .120" wall DOM roll cage tubing, a short piece of 2x3" .120" wall rectangular tubing, and a few gussets. That's priority three. Four is finishing the exhaust.

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:32 PM #35
Finally got the headers fully installed. The dipstick tube is slightly dorked because it kinked when I tried to add a bend around the headers. I have a spare one somewhere, but I can still get the old one in and out... sometimes.

View media item 32084
I also finished up the new transmission crossmember.

View media item 32080
It gives plenty of clearance for the cats on both sides, which allowed me to start fitting and tacking the exhaust.

View media item 32082
Remember, start at the headers and work your way back, keeping everything straight and level.

View media item 32083
I'm pleasantly surprised how much room there is for the exhaust. I tucked it all up under the body, but inside and higher than the bottom of the frame.

View media item 32081
I still have about three feet of tubing left, and I may make a pair of turn-downs, but for now this is good enough.

It took me most of the day since my wife has the welder set up in the garage and I was walking parts back and forth to the shop. Right now everything's tacked, but tomorrow afternoon I'm hoping to do the finish welding and put a second hangar after the mufflers.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats SUPER helpful.

What was the interference on the passenger's side that necessitated motor mount coming loose?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was hoping that was what you needed. I can't remember what it was hanging up on, and it's -10°F outside, so please pardon me not going outside to check.

I will say that I haven't finished the piping over the rear axle yet, and it's a bit loud in the cab. I have three mandrel-bent u-bends and some more tubing in the garage, so when it warms up I'll finish it out.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not miss living north of the Mason-Dixon line. I was bitching about it being cold at 25 here the other day. Don't bother going out. Not on my account at least. Thanks for all your help man.