Locking Fuel Tank Door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MILLCMACK

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know I hate to be the bearer of bad news but thieves don’t just siphon gas out. They also drill a hole in the gas tank and put the gas can under the car. For a while there that was how they did it back when gas was at 4.50/5 bucks a gallon
one of the first things my equipment tech said to me when i brought my truck to him was to start hunting for another tank. he had his drilled and took him almost 8 months to find a replacement and ended up having to go thru the dealership.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another way is to get a steel one. or find a wrecked truck with the steel skid plate. Most of the old tanks are metal and can be patched if you cant find a tank.
They usually drill the plastic tanks. As a fyi. You can jam a bar of soap in the cut or hole and seal the hole temporarily. gas wont eat through the soap and it should get you home.
Total BS.. not only do you have to worry about some jerkoff stealing the catalitic converters now they cause thousands of dollars in damage drilling holes in gas tanks.

MILLCMACK

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another way is to get a steel one. or find a wrecked truck with the steel skid plate. Most of the old tanks are metal and can be patched if you cant find a tank.
They usually drill the plastic tanks. As a fyi. You can jam a bar of soap in the cut or hole and seal the hole temporarily. gas wont eat through the soap and it should get you home.
Total BS.. not only do you have to worry about some jerkoff stealing the catalitic converters now they cause thousands of dollars in damage drilling holes in gas tanks.
yeah i snagged a second from the yard this summer and considered a skid but like he said- if they have a punch, they have a drill. he put a plastic push rivet in his so thats my plan if does ever happen. i heard a guy local to me is leaving his fuel cells in the back of his trucks unlocked and full of water hoping they think they got it good and just empty those and not go thru the hassle of crawling under the trucks. may go that route. ive just always gone by the basic rule of "be forgettable to a thief" and thats kind of asking for it imo.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i snagged a second from the yard this summer and considered a skid but like he said- if they have a punch, they have a drill. he put a plastic push rivet in his so thats my plan if does ever happen. i heard a guy local to me is leaving his fuel cells in the back of his trucks unlocked and full of water hoping they think they got it good and just empty those and not go thru the hassle of crawling under the trucks. may go that route. ive just always gone by the basic rule of "be forgettable to a thief" and thats kind of asking for it imo.
I hope that works out. I replaced a few fuel pumps and dropped a few tanks so I know some are a total pita to r&r.
Ot sucks to have to not only have $80-$120 plus dollars worth of gas stolen but a fuel tank replacement and labor and a tow bill on top of that. Even if insurance covers it if you have the coverage you still have a deductible sometimes.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@SUBURBAN5 messaged me the other day asking about the differences in locking fuel caps between the years the straight is that if you wanted to get one via GM 88-93 has a locking cap, 94-97 has a locking cap, and 98+ you're SOL.
I've had one for years with no problems. Don't know what kind as it was already on the truck when I got it.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Yeah, they did a design change on the housing in 97 the threads changed. Which is why through GM as an accessory for the GMT400 for 98-00, they did not offer a locking gas cap. There are aftermarket companies that make them.