Locker for AAM 9.25"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure the 2500/3500 front ends are better, but I'd think twice before spending that kind of money on an ifs front end. If it's not your DD this won't be much of an issue, but keep in mind that the big tires you'll be turning with your lockers will eat up ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, etc. You're looking at thousands of dollars when you factor in a lift kit, gears, locker, labor, etc for an aluminum diff that was built with stock tires and only the occasional muddy jobsite in mind, not trails and 35"+ tires.

I hate to be a naysayer, but as someone who spent $$$ to lift and gear a 1500, I can still never get rid of that voice in the back of my head constantly bugging me about breaking it. It's a 90% street truck anyway, and when it does go offroad it's more of a "just get me there and back" type of thing and not rock hopping or racing through the desert. I'm sure it's fine for what I use it for, but I can't stop thinking that the same money could have been used to SAS it with something stronger and lockable.

But I guess that begs the question: what will you use it for? Top Truck Challenge? Or taking the family camping?

If you must, then I say get a selectable locker. a Detroit would be street drivable in 2wd (they only auto-lock under power) but you might want to turn in 4x4 at some point. My dad has something cool in his jeep. It's a clutch posi but it's lockable. I don't remember what it's called but I think it is/was made by Auburn. I remember going with him to a trade show when he was building the jeep and talking to the rep. The guy said it'll slip in very large/powerful vehicles so they didn't make it for some of the bigger axles. It may not be available for the 9.25" but it's been great in the jeep.

That being said, it's been rare for us to get into stuff bad enough to NEED a traction device and not just lock it. The LSD aspect of it rarely gets any use and if it was posi-only I'd just be wishing for a locker.

Last edited: