Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gobistro00

Reaction score
Hey all! So as far as i know i only seen a couple of threads (like one or two) about completing a 9.25 front diff swap. Well i just completed my swap and its equipped with front ARB lockers. i will try to answer as many questions as i can since there isnt to many threads about this.

okay if youre planning on doing this swap please keep in mind your lift. If you have a rough country or full drop lift (lift that drops upper control arms) youll need to modify youre cv axles or shorten them. i recommend to have atleast a 4 inch lift for this swap. 3 inch lift is possible, but it will be very tight. anyways for a RC or any full drop lift, the lower drivers side mount on the diff will remain the same, the upper drivers side mount on the 9.25 will be shorten about 2-4 inches depending on whether you have a 4-6 inch lift. as for the passanger side mount, youre going to want to cut the mounts and reweld them or shorten it about a couple inches, thats probably the hardest part, what i did was measure the axle flanges on the diff from the lower drop crossmember and made sure both sides had the same distance from the rear lower crossmember drop bracket. once this is achieved youll need to make sure the upper diff mount wont interfere with the center link, itll be close, but as long as it doesnt touch youll be fine. as for the cv axles, you have 2 options, you can go to the junkyard and find original gm axles and shorten them, or you can order custom ones. reason that youll need original gm axles is because theyre splined an extra inch down and you can just remove c clips holding the tripod and slide the tripod all the way down to the end of splines and flush cut the excessive splines, then weld the tripod onto the splines so the tripod wont seperate from the splines at full droop. most or all after market cv axles are only splined where the bottom of the tripod sits, this makes it unable to be shortened. as for connectors everything will be the same, and itll be plug and play. if youre using a 9.25 axle from 2000-2007 itll be easier to modify passenger mount because itll be flat, the passenger mount on a 99- or lower is at an angle.

if youre using a knuckle style lift, this will be more convenient because the knuckles add about 2 inches of track width and youll be able to use your stock cv axles with spacers, youll also have more space to work with, and the diff will sit higher, as for knuckle lifts youll need 1.75 inch axle spacers for the cv axles, and youll need to have youre torsion keys at stock crank, because on knuckle lifts the diff sits a bit higher and your angles will be to sharp and cv axles will bind up. also youre going to have to cut upper drivers side mount and add a mount on the diff and bolt it to the front crossmember. if you have a 1 piece driveshaft youll need to get it shortened. if you have a2 piece driveshaft it should compress enough to bolt it up, the lower drivers side mount on the diff will remain the same and youll have to grind about 1/4 of an inch of the lower rear crossmember so the diff wont scrape with it, as for the lower front drivers side mount that connects to the front crossmember, youll need to get a 9.25 mount and move the mounting tabs on the front crossmember that connects to the diff and move it about 1.5 inches to the passenger side. (cut mounting tabs and reweld)

im probably forgetting more things so feel free to ask questions, i will post pictures tomorrow since its dark right now, and yes you can probably just slap a solid axle on the front, but id rather have a great riding ifs with a 9.25 front axle.

Edit: i should mention that i orginally attempted this with a rough country 4inch lift. but i didnt want to order custom cv axles, but its easier to install on the rough country because the rough country lowers the front diff way more than a knuckle lift

Last edited:

Traveling man

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

those arre some pics i took, my bad for the bad quality
So to all that have told me it cant be done" In your Face! Lol thanks for sharing, I'm in the process of this as well, from my measurements I don't feel that I'm going to have quite as many issues, I have 6" lift - pro comp? I shaved a peace off frame on driver side because the 92.5 is fatter, but it looks like whoever originally put the lift on the truck shave the fins on the driver side of the 8.25 diff for it to fit, I didn't want to do anything to weaken it, I'll send a photo of what I did if I can figure out how, my donors from a 2004 2500 HD, I wish it was angled on the passenger side mount because I'd be In Like Flint, remind me to remind appears that it's going to bolt in if I altered that bracket hanging down for the passenger side. We'll see, my question for you is, what about the actuator? I've ls 4l80e swapped Holley wiring, can't find a cable actuated for it, need to figure that part out before I carry on ,I haven't done anything thiats keeping me from going back or sas if I win the lottery. Thanks

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all! So as far as i know i only seen a couple of threads (like one or two) about completing a 9.25 front diff swap. Well i just completed my swap and its equipped with front ARB lockers. i will try to answer as many questions as i can since there isnt to many threads about this.

okay if youre planning on doing this swap please keep in mind your lift. If you have a rough country or full drop lift (lift that drops upper control arms) youll need to modify youre cv axles or shorten them. i recommend to have atleast a 4 inch lift for this swap. 3 inch lift is possible, but it will be very tight. anyways for a RC or any full drop lift, the lower drivers side mount on the diff will remain the same, the upper drivers side mount on the 9.25 will be shorten about 2-4 inches depending on whether you have a 4-6 inch lift. as for the passanger side mount, youre going to want to cut the mounts and reweld them or shorten it about a couple inches, thats probably the hardest part, what i did was measure the axle flanges on the diff from the lower drop crossmember and made sure both sides had the same distance from the rear lower crossmember drop bracket. once this is achieved youll need to make sure the upper diff mount wont interfere with the center link, itll be close, but as long as it doesnt touch youll be fine. as for the cv axles, you have 2 options, you can go to the junkyard and find original gm axles and shorten them, or you can order custom ones. reason that youll need original gm axles is because theyre splined an extra inch down and you can just remove c clips holding the tripod and slide the tripod all the way down to the end of splines and flush cut the excessive splines, then weld the tripod onto the splines so the tripod wont seperate from the splines at full droop. most or all after market cv axles are only splined where the bottom of the tripod sits, this makes it unable to be shortened. as for connectors everything will be the same, and itll be plug and play. if youre using a 9.25 axle from 2000-2007 itll be easier to modify passenger mount because itll be flat, the passenger mount on a 99- or lower is at an angle.

if youre using a knuckle style lift, this will be more convenient because the knuckles add about 2 inches of track width and youll be able to use your stock cv axles with spacers, youll also have more space to work with, and the diff will sit higher, as for knuckle lifts youll need 1.75 inch axle spacers for the cv axles, and youll need to have youre torsion keys at stock crank, because on knuckle lifts the diff sits a bit higher and your angles will be to sharp and cv axles will bind up. also youre going to have to cut upper drivers side mount and add a mount on the diff and bolt it to the front crossmember. if you have a 1 piece driveshaft youll need to get it shortened. if you have a2 piece driveshaft it should compress enough to bolt it up, the lower drivers side mount on the diff will remain the same and youll have to grind about 1/4 of an inch of the lower rear crossmember so the diff wont scrape with it, as for the lower front drivers side mount that connects to the front crossmember, youll need to get a 9.25 mount and move the mounting tabs on the front crossmember that connects to the diff and move it about 1.5 inches to the passenger side. (cut mounting tabs and reweld)

im probably forgetting more things so feel free to ask questions, i will post pictures tomorrow since its dark right now, and yes you can probably just slap a solid axle on the front, but id rather have a great riding ifs with a 9.25 front axle.

Edit: i should mention that i orginally attempted this with a rough country 4inch lift. but i didnt want to order custom cv axles, but its easier to install on the rough country because the rough country lowers the front diff way more than a knuckle lift

I wish I had seen this a couple years ago before I had my gears done on my 8.25!

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good info @Gobistro00. I did the 9.25 swap with a 6” BDS which allowed me to use OE length 2500/3500 cv shafts. Only issues in my situation revolved around the differential being taller in relation to the lower driver side mount, which you mention, and the size of the inner seal on the knuckle.

Edit: I should clarify that it did require the upper diff mounting points to be moved vs the 8.25.

Last edited:

Jnunez74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures??
Good info @Gobistro00. I did the 9.25 swap with a 6” BDS which allowed me to use OE length 2500/3500 cv shafts. Only issues in my situation revolved around the differential being taller in relation to the lower driver side mount, which you mention, and the size of the inner seal on the knuckle.

Edit: I should clarify that it did require the upper diff mounting points to be moved vs the 8.2