Locker for AAM 9.25"?

Discussion in 'Axles + Brakes' started by stutaeng, Feb 19, 2021.

1. stutaeng

stutaeng I'm Awesome

I was talking to my brother that has a 2013 Ram 2500 4x4 about front lockers.

I looked up the ARB air locker and it looks like it's also compatible with the GM AAM 9.25" from 88-12 trucks (IFS vs SFA)?

I've got an 'ol 2000 K3500 that I rarely use on 4x4, until this snow storm that is! I've dreamed of making it kinda like a cool off road rig down the road...

The ARB is kinda pricey and then you need an air compressor. I know lockers are not inexpensive, but:

Are there any other options for that GM axle? Needs to be selectable for steering purposes, right?

2. Dravec

Dravec Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.

As far as I know, there used to be a couple other options, but they are no longer available. I really wish the Eaton E-Locker was still available.

stutaeng likes this.
  3. stutaeng

stutaeng I'm Awesome

Yes, that is the same as I recall last time I was looking at the Eaton E-locker: discontinued.

Interestingly, the AAM 9.25" appears to be the same in Power Wagon (SFA, of course,) which seems to be an E-locker made by AAM called Trac-Rite. I was readying the Ram forums and some posters were saying the Trac-Rite is a possible swap into their Ram 2500 open diff...others were saying it wasn't possible. Who knows?

Highly doubtful it will work with the GM/AAM 9.25 IFS though...

I'm waiting for Lawrence Tolman to do his SAS on his K2500 Suburban (or SuburVanch or whatever he said, LOL) so I can see how involved a SAS would be on the GMT400 platform!:grd:

4. Dravec

Dravec Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.

I like how IFS rides enough to ignore any weaknesses it might have. Not a fan of SFA trucks. When compared to IFS.

Schurkey, mr_josh and stutaeng like this.
  5. CrustyJunker

CrustyJunker Tractor

I'm not familiar with available parts for that front end, but the Eaton Truetrac is supposed to be a steering-friendly option. Selectable lockers are a surefire way to get traction in seriously rough terrain - if you don't mind the cost! :driver:

6. MIHELA

MIHELA 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8

I have heard the side thrust loads from lockers can break the aluminum casings on the IFS. But they do have the same carriers as the rear so they will physically fit.

stutaeng likes this.
  7. yevgenievich

yevgenievich Newbie

I was really interested in getting one, but as mentioned the aluminium housing not that reliable to hold loads. And would have preferred electric selectable that is discontinued. Also seen there is a bearing difference in the ram or something similar

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    stutaeng likes this.
  8. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

Recently a member posted that the Truetrac wouldn't fit a front 8 lug diff because Eaton said so, but they gave no context. Do you know more about carrier compatibility? Yes, it's not a locker, but it is a relevant question because I wonder if there isn't something special about that front casing that makes certain 9.5" rear diffs incompatible.

stutaeng likes this.
  9. MIHELA

MIHELA 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8

It may be that the inside of the housing doesn't fit certain carriers due to size. The STOCK carrier is the same, but maybe the aftermarket carriers are bulkier in a way that makes them not fit.