Limited slip ? Dumb people

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not trying to confuse anything or stray too far from the original question, but where does the reliability of the GT4 (14 bolt/3.73 RATIO) rear ends fall into the mix? And what type rear end are they... gov lock/semi floater/full floater?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not trying to confuse anything or stray too far from the original question, but where does the reliability of the GT4 (14 bolt/3.73 RATIO) rear ends fall into the mix? And what type rear end are they... gov lock/semi floater/full floater?

GT4 is just the rear gear ratio (3.73)

Gov lock is G80 (RPO code in glovebox)

And the full floater/semifloater thing. When you take your hubcaps off the rear axle do you have a series of bolts under the cover? if not you have a semi floater

DHGFX4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay heres something crazy i heard.. and tried.. but cannot explain how it works. My friend with a scsb 4x4 obs with a G80 never engaged. He said by depressing the emergency brake about 1/2 way down, enough to give it some resistance will "engage" the "locker." I had never heqrd of such a think so i tried it anyways. I climbed an off camber hill in my G80 equipped Suburban with 3.73. Hung one tire almost in the air and foward momentum stopped. Backed up, pressed the emergency brake half way down and hit the hill at the exact same angle. Got one tire spinning slowly then a little clank and it continued to climb all the way up the hill..

I got off the hill, released the emergency brake and drove it in a circle on pavement. One tire was chirping (as any tire would with a true locker/spool) after a few circles it made another clank and "disengaged" itself.

Any explanation for this?