Limited slip ? Dumb people

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McMuscle3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, why do our trucks have limited slip for the rear and and front? I was pulling a car out today and one of my rear wheels was spinning and one of my front was, what do I needs to buy to fix that junk? It's annoying me

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If it's got the stock limited slip carriers, then they are what's called a 'Gov-lock'.
The way they were working as you described is the nature of those units.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no lockng/limited slip availible for the front diff on these trucks. If your truck has G80 in the RPO codes in the glove box, Your front diff is an open carrier but your rear diff is a G80 carrier (gov lock) (aka gov bomb in the 10 bolt rear diff)

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, all the GMT400's came with was a gov lock in the rear axle, RPO code G80.

The fronts were all open.

Gov lock is meant to be a low speed "posi". Can't recall the speed, but I think it's ineffective (IE: disengaged) above 20 MPH. Lower than that both wheels should be spinning if you have a gov lock rear axle.

Gov locks are not especially robust units. Many have blown them up by spinning one wheel in gravel and one on pavement. When the gravel wheel grabs pavement, the little teeth that lock the differential on the swinging lever sheer off and you're back to an open diff.

Except now you have shards of metal rolling around in your rear axle, which often becomes terminal for the whole diff. That is; assuming it didn't frag your carrier right away when it gave out...

For a gov lock axle, you have to change out the entire center diff guts as none of the aftermarket lockers will work in that particular carrier. At least, none to my knowledge.

For the front, if you're got a 1/2 ton you're out of luck. There's no lockers made for the 8.25 gm IFS differential.

I believe there is one for a 2500 front diff since its a bigger gm 9.25 unit. I want to say airlocker, but don't quote me on that. Mybe it was an Eaton unit, just can't remember.....

Front lockers are not a good idea in GM ifs diffs for the most part. The center section is aluminum and is given to lots of deflection when strained too hard. Deflection is a carrier housing equals "BOOM". Lots of guys are running them in sled pulls with upwards of 1000 hp duramaxes though. but they do blow them up and it's usually quite spectacular when it goes.....

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Well that's a lot more of a complete answer than what I posted!
'Q' though. Didn't the 10 bolts have G60's & the 14b's have G80's?

McMuscle3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So he average cost of swapping this out would be ?? More then it's worth?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Do you have the G80 RPO code? If not then you just have an open carrier in the rear and you could install a locker for that. If you do have the G80 code and it's not locking up then you have a problem and would need a whole new carrier assembly to get limited-slip