Light problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big3500

Reaction score
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. Just to clarify, you're putting a relay on the stereo power lead, and not on the dimmer circuit, right?
On the blue wire that goes to the radio name dim, to trigger a relay that will supply 12v signal, just not drawing it from the dimmer circuit itself. Let me know if I am off the path here.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just a thought you power a relay or activate a relay.
Well, powering a relay would mean that you are using the positive of the switch side to engage the relay. Activate would mean that you use the negative side to engage a relay.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A relay is activated, whether by switching power to the input side or has power wired input then stands by till a switched ground is provided. Activate - make active or operate. A relay is switch operated by completing the circuit using a power source or given a ground.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't put your relay on the dimmer circuit. In fact, I'd skip the relay idea for now.

Your issue is elsewhere. Double check the wiring for your stereo and make sure you have the dimmer wire going to the right place, and the amp/antenna lead going to the right place.