Lets talk cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Hart

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm looking at full length headers with 3" collectors into a true dual 3" exhaust with cats+glasspacks, and all of the usual air & fuel mods to the stock injectors, intake & heads. I'm looking to pick up the stuff I need to burn my own chips to tune it as I go.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm looking at full length headers with 3" collectors into a true dual 3" exhaust with cats+glasspacks, and all of the usual air & fuel mods to the stock injectors, intake & heads. I'm looking to pick up the stuff I need to burn my own chips to tune it as I go.

Cool deal! We don't have very many experts left around here who are good with Prom tuning. Let us know how it goes.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I ran a 252XFI in my old truck and it made a world of difference. It worked fine on stock valve springs because of the low lift and the difference in duration was massive compared to stock. The cam was on the mild side according to many, but I ran mine in a 305 with a 5-speed.

James Hart

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the L05 came with either 8.75:1 or 9.3:1 compression ratio, that cam states it needs 9.5:1 minimum...
it makes it's power from 2600rpm to 6100rpm and needs a 2500-3000rpm stall speed TC.... all I know about the L05 is it does not work well much above 5k without MAJOR work including heads.

Are you still looking to make no mods beyond the cam?

Here is the piece of the stickied thread about a cam recommendation for a stock truck:
"TBI 5.7L with stock heads, stock or 2000 RPM stall torque converter: Duration at 0.050” lift 206/216 with LSA 112. The Crane cam 113904 is my top choice, but as long at you stick to intake duration under 206 degrees, you’ll have a safe computer-friendly cam with gobs of power 4500 RPM and lower. Good for towing and performance applications and good all-round choice. Power level maxes out at 280-300hp."

The cam I linked to earlier that I am putting in my 93 is a very close replacement for the 113904 listed... but as mentioned in the thread, there isn't really a cam that wouldn't benefit from a chip, actually a stock truck can benefit from a chip.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Long duration and low lift is the opposite of what you want. If your block is roller-ready you can step up to a roller cam by just changing cam, lifters, pushrods and timing chain. I went with a stock LT1 Camaro cam (204/[email protected] .447/.459" 117) so it still had good MAP signal, but a TON more lift for extra power. Staying conservative on duration not only helps the MAP signal to the computer, but it keeps the power down low in the RPMs. I still burned a chip for mine, but that was more due to the heads & intake swap.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Woody: could you give me a parts list with retailers links for what you bought for your conversion?? Many thanks