Leaf Spring best practices?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

herkyhawki

Reaction score
Looking at Leaf springs for 1998 Chevrolet K1500. Already found plenty of links to places to buy them in other threads, but looking for little advice on selection and install.
Existing leafs are 3/1 leaf. What are things to consider if replacing with 4/1 or 5/1 leaves? Or is it best to replace with 3/1 like what’s there? I've been towing a 6000 lb camper with weight distribting hitch for years. Existing springs are sagging but not completely failed.
What are best prctices for installation? Is axle alingment a concern, or how do you insure everything is straight? I can fix anything under the hood, and brakes, but never messed with suspensions.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had my leaf springs off (dually w/overload springs), and alignment isn't an issue, as I believe they can go in either way, and there is a peg to locate the springs. Just make sure that if you get different springs they will fit your axle (might need different u bolts/plate, and some heavier duty applications have the ends bolted on in a slightly different location). I would probably upgrade to the next size up (4/1), as the 5/1 might be intended for the 14 bolt semi-float (not sure on this, someone else may confirm). Also make sure you get new bushings and possibly shackles if yours are super rusty.

As far as removal/installation, all you need to do is remove the u bolts, then jack up the truck and make sure all of the weight is off of the axle by putting jack stands under the frame, then you can safely remove the bolts that go through the eyes of the springs (if the springs are under load whatsoever, they will spring up once you take the bolts out, so try to avoid this). Then you can tilt and slide them off. 1500 springs should not be too heavy, maybe 40-50 pounds at most. When tightening the all of the fasteners on the new springs, make sure the springs are supporting the weight of the truck (on the ground or jack stands on the axle), and make sure the u bolts are straight. You should be good to go then!

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably the 14 bolt/6 lug swap while you are there as well as was mentioned.

5 or 6 leaf pack should do the trick. Use new u bolts.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only thing I can add is to properly torque the U-bolts and to check again a few hundred miles later. Over torqued can lead to a broken leaf within the spring pack. A lot of times you'll end up having to cut the existing U-bolts out.

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m also looking for leafs to replace the lift blocks for the back of my c1500
You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The PO of my C1500 put in an AAL (Add A Leaf) which jacked up the rear end so much he had to lengthen the shackles to 7" just to keep the ass end down. With the 4/1 pack (in essence) now it road rough and still had the stink bug look. I put in a new 3/1 pack and kept the 7" shackles to level the truck, lowered it ~2-1/2". My advice is to get all new U-bolts, eye bolts, washers and nuts. make sure your plates are still good too.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just did my son’s too on his 03 Tacoma. Toyota rust is a whole different level!!! My K1500’s were frozen as well though.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only thing I can add is to properly torque the U-bolts and to check again a few hundred miles later. Over torqued can lead to a broken leaf within the spring pack. A lot of times you'll end up having to cut the existing U-bolts out.
^^^Important. Try to loosen the U bolts the normal way with heat and long breaker bar/pipe, exercise caution if you need to cut them, as they are under a lot of tension.
Also goes without saying but make sure to have a jack stand just under the axle when you unbolt the leaves to make sure the housing doesn't fall of course (especially if the shocks are disconnected).

Last edited: