L31 with LT1 bottom end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are tons of melonized gears at Pull-A-Part on Vortec distributors. It's a five-minute swap while you have the distributor out. I put one on my TBI distributor since I'm running a roller cam.
The TBI distributors ALREADY have a melonized gear.

I went through this twenty years ago when I stuffed a '92 Caprice TBI roller-cam service-replacement "crate" long-block into my '88 K1500 TBI (flat-tappet cam) truck. I bought the crate engine from Pace Performance. They sold me a melonized distributor gear along with it because of the roller cam in the replacement engine.

The gear was for the larger distributor shaft of the coil-in-cap HEI--0.491 instead of the skinny-shaft TBI distributor (which might be 0.430 diameter?) So I call them and ask about getting a melonized gear for the skinny-shaft TBI distributor. The guy researches it for awhile, then tells me to use the distributor gear already on the distributor since the TBI distributor gears are all melonized.

I never did get a refund for the too-big gear they sold me.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The TBI distributors ALREADY have a melonized gear.

I went through this twenty years ago when I stuffed a '92 Caprice TBI roller-cam service-replacement "crate" long-block into my '88 K1500 TBI (flat-tappet cam) truck. I bought the crate engine from Pace Performance. They sold me a melonized distributor gear along with it because of the roller cam in the replacement engine.

The gear was for the larger distributor shaft of the coil-in-cap HEI--0.491 instead of the skinny-shaft TBI distributor (which might be 0.430 diameter?) So I call them and ask about getting a melonized gear for the skinny-shaft TBI distributor. The guy researches it for awhile, then tells me to use the distributor gear already on the distributor since the TBI distributor gears are all melonized.

I never did get a refund for the too-big gear they sold me.

The car motors were roller cam motors, but not the truck motors. You sure the trucks got it too?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I was told by Pace Performance was that "all" the TBI distributors had melonized gears.

All those years later, I pop a head gasket between #3 and #5, torched the block and head, and wound up re-using that distributor AGAIN on the newest replacement engine--Vortec short-block, aftermarket heads and intake manifold.

What bothers me is the frequency of Vortec distributor gears going bad compared to TBI and the ancient coil-in-cap gears. I see photos and posts about the Vortec gears and they're sharp enough to shave with; I never saw a TBI distributor do that.

[Edit] Here, for example.
99 escalade won't start, replaced crank sensor
[/Edit]

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I'm aware of the wear of the Vortec gears. Mine was so sharp I couldn't set cmpret properly, then a year after I replaced it with a GM gear the new one was showing wear.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why? Are the pushrods you have so long that you don't get proper sweep at the valve tip?
I used Comp 7.300" Pushrods on PRW 1.6 Rockers (they were used and free to me). The heads had 7/16 screw in studs + guide plates and I didn't get too much thread engagement on the polylocks. The geometry looked good but I think the stock 7.195 pushrods would still work. I honestly don't plan to touch them until my first oil change. Has 300miles on the clock now. Runs damn good and fuel trims are around +11-12%

I will post an update of the cam gear and distributor stem size tomorrow. I got some new intake gaskets that have the steel load limiters...maybe I won't crack them this time.

I actually think the oil pressure is good but the gauge on the dash is reading incorrect as it seems a little jumpy (1/4 sweep movements) at times. Didn't find anything concerning at all in the oil filter.

I am having a weird stumbling issue at start-up. Engine fires right up then rumbles at 4-500rpm for 5-7 seconds and them smooths out and idles fine. No issues after start-up. Injectors are new MPFI Spider. Is this fuel pump, IAC, or oil pressure related?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used Comp 7.300" Pushrods on PRW 1.6 Rockers (they were used and free to me). The heads had 7/16 screw in studs + guide plates and I didn't get too much thread engagement on the polylocks. The geometry looked good
If the geometry is good like you say, you don't need shorter pushrods. You need longer rocker studs.

I am having a weird stumbling issue at start-up. Engine fires right up then rumbles at 4-500rpm for 5-7 seconds and them smooths out and idles fine. No issues after start-up. Injectors are new MPFI Spider. Is this fuel pump, IAC, or oil pressure related?
Check the fuel pressure, connect a scan tool to see what the IAC is being commanded to do. Wouldn't hurt to verify that the IAC passage is clear of carbon/varnish/sludge, and the EGR is seating.

I don't know how this could be related to oil pressure since you should have "plenty" of pressure when the engine is cold.