L31 with LT1 bottom end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have a wideband? VE ****** via LTFTs will only get you so far. The MAF has a say in the fueling as well.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forgot you had the marine cam. Was thinking it had the LT1 cam. What I had is probably still a better starting point.

I certainly think I could try them both and then compare the logs. I know for a fact my 94 LT1 runs a lot more timing then this does. (it also pings a lot)

Do you have a wideband? VE ****** via LTFTs will only get you so far. The MAF has a say in the fueling as well.

That's pretty much what I did. What determines fueling in speed density with the MAF unplugged? (MAP, IAT, and RPM?)

I need to get a wideband for this and so many other projects. It is hard to do any real tuning without proper feedback. I've been Eyeballing the AEM 30-4110 but not sure if I need the gauge or just the sensor.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any pointers on how this Black Box actually operates? When is VE table used vs MAF. Is PE considered WOT?

I tried logging a calculated PID for VE in the Black Box units but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Attached is a.pld data log.

I'm actually OK with how this thing runs. I cannot figure out the starting issue though.

Attachments

• L31-007.txt
    368.1 KB · Views: 0

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I certainly think I could try them both and then compare the logs. I know for a fact my 94 LT1 runs a lot more timing then this does. (it also pings a lot)

That's pretty much what I did. What determines fueling in speed density with the MAF unplugged? (MAP, IAT, and RPM?)

I need to get a wideband for this and so many other projects. It is hard to do any real tuning without proper feedback. I've been Eyeballing the AEM 30-4110 but not sure if I need the gauge or just the sensor.

If you unplugged the MAF for this then the LTFTs will get you pretty close. The narrowbands big limitation here is accuracy anywhere outside of stoich. Do your logs mimic the VE table.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you unplugged the MAF for this then the LTFTs will get you pretty close. The narrowbands big limitation here is accuracy anywhere outside of stoich. Do your logs mimic the VE table
I have it plugged in... I did set Stoich to 14.13 and PE to Lambda = .8 because I plan on running E10.

So you are saying unplug the MAF and tune off of LTFT just using the Narrow Bands?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That'll get your VE as close as you can without a wideband. Below 4000 RPMs the factory tune blends VE with MAF which is why I said earlier that VE ****** via LTFTs will only get you so far. You really need to tuned both with a wodeband.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That'll get your VE as close as you can without a wideband. Below 4000 RPMs the factory tune blends VE with MAF which is why I said earlier that VE ****** via LTFTs will only get you so far. You really need to tuned both with a wodeband.
Wideband is now ordered! I see some of your posts from 2010-11 on the EFI Live forums. I just can't find much on how the BBX operates and how to adjust cranking/start behavior. My problems are 0-400rpm related when starting.

Before I plugged the rivet holes in the TB blade it started right up every time hot or cold. Do I need to mess with IAC percentages since I don't see any key on targets?

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

It took a bit but I got the wideband installed and connected to my V2. Disabled PE, EGR, and DFCO; set Main VE ->+15% and Backup VE-> +15%. Then unplugged MAF and FRONT O2 sensors. I took this out for a drive cycle trying to hit as many cells as possible. LTFT and STFT were flat 0 the whole time. Pasted BEN with labels and multiplied. I ended up with decent looking VE tables after smoothing but we will see how it drives in SD.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

This black box is a pain but hopefully this gets me a better baseline than the stock tune. I'm certain I will appreciate my 0411 when I get to cam swapping the 454.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel trims should be 0 with the front O2s disconnected. One way to know your VE has a good shape is if it peaks at peak torque, then drops off after that. Mine was that way NA, but now with the blower it has a second peak at peak hp which I still don't understand.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just did my second drive cycle. The BEN numbers were closer to 1 but on the other side so I applied them to this tune and did not smooth as much. I'm encouraged it went the other direction. Gonna load it and plug in the O2 to see how it behaves now.

It was interesting I had some sharp peaks before smoothing and those areas were lean on the second drive... guess it wasn't BS after all.