L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No emissions test hassles? Lucky...

With fast burn, high swirl Vortec heads, full sequential port fuel injection using wideband closed loop and modern 3-way catalytic converters I am thinking it has to be cleaner than what GM spit out in 1987 especially after 30+ years and 104K miles. I know it will get better fuel mileage with the added torque, so less carbon foot print too. Not that I keep up to date on all that.

The one place that my old TPI system did noticeably better than the TBI, even running the same computer save for tuning was cold start, idle and acceleration enrichment and deceleration enleanment. The TPI took less fuel enrichment to cold start and required large changes to acceleration fuel to lean it out compared to a stone cold TBI wet flow manifold. The TPI was also noticeably smoother at cold idle with fewer partial and full misfires from the better air/fuel mixture quality. The TPI also had less of a rich spot when you suddenly let off the throttle.

Last edited:

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it's easy to make a healthy engine run not only stronger but cleaner than stock. The factory is too lazy to make parts fit closely, so there is terribly excessive quench space, loose rings, loose valve guides, and stock cams are just bad. (The LS engines improve tremendously on tolerances and cam dynamics). But in phoenix, it doesn't matter what comes out of the pipe. It could make pure oxygen, but if the stock manifold, egr, evap canister, etc isn't there, you fail visually.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am working on this a bit every day, but it is still HOT here.

I started out by bolting the torque converter to the flex plate and installing the starter. I extracted two broken bolts out of the transmission case for the converter dust cover. Then I hooked up the shift linkage. Still need to find a washer that fits over the linkage and fit the hairpin clip. Also need to buy some new bellhousing bolts, the ones that were in it were metric and I only found 3 laying around the shop prior to installing the engine.

I dropped the transmission pan, changed the filter, replaced the pan with the cast aluminum. I also changed the vacuum modulator, old one had seen better days. I used a new adjustable unit that had a red stripe. Finally I installed a new dipstick tube seal and the mile long transmission dipstick tube. Then I filled the TH400 back up with DexIII.

I test fit the exhaust down pipes that I will be installing to get this thing to the muffler shop. I still need to get the donuts and install manifold studs. I also need to drop by my muffler shop guy and get him to weld in the 02 bung for the ProFlows wideband sensor. Might as well have the system in learning mode as soon as possible on the first start. The driverside down pipe should be long enough to allow the 02 to read somewhat accurately. In my mind that will give it a head start on learning.

After that I have a replacement radiator for an early 454 G30, 1988-1991 IIRC on the way. I need to install the radiator, get the cooling system plumbed. Then I need to drop the old fuel tank, install the new one and plumb the fuel feed lines from the hard line on the frame to the fuel rail. Finally I have some wiring to do. Then it will be time to let it rip.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Temporary exhaust is done. Need to straighten out the inspection cover where it was bent and rubbing the old flexplate and hide that ugly torque converter.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Part I am not looking forward to comes soon. The old fuel tank is coming out. I hated that stock TBI tank when this van was LS powered. Had to keep 1/3 tank or more in it or it would fall on its face launching hard or cornering hard. The new Spectre tank has a really nice baffle to it. Might have already posted the picture, but the Chinese got this part correct in the tank. The baffled area probably holds 3 gallons and it is probably 7" tall. It is going to keep some fuel at the pump pickup.