L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New 33 gallon tank, sending unit and pump ready to go. I picked up new straps as well because the van currently has a 22 gallon tank. The new tank is the same size square, but taller hence the need for the longer matching straps. I am connecting it to the stock fuel pump relay and oil pressure switch. The Edelbrock ECU can directly control a pump, but I am going to use the Edelbrocks control circuit to trigger the stock relay and retain the oil pressure switch as backup for the relay.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well as normal nothing goes to plan. The 97 started running weirdly, lost all throttle response, and stalled out with a hellacious backfire that sounded like a shot gun out of the exhaust about 3 blocks from the house and I had to tow strap it home. Police cruiser rolled up less than 2 minutes later, spot lighted me and we had a brief conversation. Told him it conked out with a bang and help was already on the way. The 97 is acting like the fuel pump gave up on it which is odd because I was at WOT briefly out of a redlight on a main road and it felt like it was pulling hard, let off, got back on the throttle to hold speed, it started sputtering and then stalled. I got it to fire and idle for a short period of time (engine still sounds solid) but it stalled immediately after I put it into drive. It started right back up and stalled after 5-10 seconds of idling with no load. It is acting alot like how my G20 van ran when the fuel line in the tank between the sending unit and pump split open. I was able to limp that one home on like 20 psi fuel pressure where it was normally 50 psi using tiny amounts of throttle opening but it was hard as heck to get started after it too stalled. I think the only reason that one made it home is because a MSD6a box seems to be able to light off some insanely lean mixtures. Oddly I had just been at WOT with it too when it split the in-tank fuel hose.. I yanked the doghouse, it has spark, but fuel pressure seems nearly non existent at the test port. Barely enough fuel trickled out to wet my finger tip. I can hear the pump running in the tank but it sounds extremely weak. So it seems as if I may get to drop two fuel tanks this weekend. The 97 probably only has ~10 gallons in the tank, luckily it is not full. Hopefully the pump will run enough to drain the tank into a couple 5 gallon cans.

Last edited:

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I'm sold on dunking little bits in diluted hydrochloric acid. I dipped a bunch of junkyard bolts I yanked from and air dam and they came out great. Did it in a Folger's can. You could get those pristine for as lightly rusted as they are.

Diluted is the key to success here, ask me how I know :eek: I used to use 30% concentration, that is to strong really but work very well until you forget it... in an open container... in the garage overnight.
The problem was not what was in the the plastic container, those parts survived reasonably well. The problem was the cloud of Hydrochloric acid that floated around in the garage and aged everything metal 10 years, even chromed door handles got a little dull. Have since switched to Phosphoric acid, it does not emit gases like HCL, and parts does not start to rust immediately again when you take them out of the acid. Just my two cents...

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the 97 seems to have fuel pressure this AM but the spark was weak and erratic. About to go get another distributor cap and rotor and pick up a loaner fuel pressure test kit. The MSD cap and rotor had a good run but they are finished. I had a nice hot spark at the coil.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Diluted is the key to success here, ask me how I know :eek: I used to use 30% concentration, that is to strong really but work very well until you forget it... in an open container... in the garage overnight.
The problem was not what was in the the plastic container, those parts survived reasonably well. The problem was the cloud of Hydrochloric acid that floated around in the garage and aged everything metal 10 years, even chromed door handles got a little dull. Have since switched to Phosphoric acid, it does not emit gases like HCL, and parts does not start to rust immediately again when you take them out of the acid. Just my two cents...

Wow. I had it at 50% but put the lid on the Folger's can and left it overnight. I think next time I'll just set it outside! I'll have to see if I can get just phosphoric acid. I have some in the form of Rust Mort and naval jelly but that stuff isn't cheap.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...put the lid on the Folger's can and left it overnight. I think next time I'll just set it outside!
Well you are obviously smarter than I am :) The Phosphoric acid can be reused many many times as the sediment seems to collect at the bottom when you let it sit. As I remember it the HCL just got more and more Yellow and dirty, but have not used it for more than 10years now.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What installed height do you get with LS springs and 787 retainers?
About 1.75" from memory. Stock locks on these. Just springs and retainers changed. The cam in it is only 0.482/0.496 lift thus I did not see a reason to go with thinner thus weaker offset retainers. With my converted to solid test lifters they are nowhere near coil bind as it sits.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's decent, you're only losing .050" of the spring's capacity as opposed to .100". So you're good to .500" lift on that setup. I have some PAC 1219 for my Z06 which would free up those LS6 springs. I think they need to go onto my 1500. Thanks.