Key/shifter adjustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could probably wait until next week when the factory service manual shiws up, but im impatient and have the column halfway apart anyway.

1995 Silverado automatic 2wd
Solenoid from brake pedal is disconnected from the column and ziptied out of the way.

So. To get the key out of the switch requires juggling the shifter a bit while rotating the switch to the lock position.
Someone has replaced the lock before i bought the truck, and mangled the column trim. Im assuming theres also an adjustment in there that wasn't made, but dont know what it is and Google hasnt helped.

Anyone have the procedure? Figure itll be simple while im replacing the turn signal switch.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No adjustments.. most likely they damaged more than just the trim. Once you get the covers off and have a look you may find the cause.

There's a little lockout cable that runs from the shift mechanism to the column housing near the tumbler. I wonder if it's firmly connected and in good shape.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, see if you have any slop in the shift mechanism itself, possibly from it being reefed on when the shift interlock solenoid was bad and still connected.

(pic is from a '98-'99 so you won't have that two wire connector near the tumbler; that's for Passlock)

Richard

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks! I hate that there isn't any adjustment in the system, butat least it makes inspection easier! Nor that I kinda know what to look for, hopefully the problem presents itself