Key Off Battery Drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
93 Silverado K1500 Ext cab short bed 5.7 TBI Automatic 4x4- What are some of the 1st things that come to mind on the battery going dead pretty much overnight? I did find that the interior cab light on the ceiling and the light under the dash box would not shut off, so I removed the bulbs, still have a dead short going on. I have a test light between the negative battery terminal and the negative cable end and the light is staying lit, scratch the battery terminal with the cable end and it sparks strongly. What are some things that others have encountered?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like pulling fuses one at a time and using the test light to test the draw. If the test light glows dimly, it's probably not enough draw to drain the battery. If the test light shines, it's probably the circuit that's draining the battery.

Reaction score
This thing is making the light shine real bright, and makes big sparks when I scratch the cable across the battery post.. Just thought maybe there where some things that typically go wrong with this model truck that I could check into..

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
There really isn't, not on the earlier models at least... If I had to guess, I'd say maybe a relay or switch failed closed. @Erik the Awful definitely has the right idea here, check everything in the fuse block. In addition, start pulling wires off the firewall junction block - some of those don't go to fuses so wouldn't end up getting checked.

Medic0893

Reaction score
Have a 92 2500. Got it from a kid. Nice guy but not an electrical engineer... spent so much time trying to find my parasite I finally put in a battery switch. Now when I drive the voltage starts at 14.7 and as it heats up it works it’s way down to minimal acceptable. (13.0-13.2). Any ideas? No trouble running and it does charge the battery.

Reaction score
Have a 92 2500. Got it from a kid. Nice guy but not an electrical engineer... spent so much time trying to find my parasite I finally put in a battery switch. Now when I drive the voltage starts at 14.7 and as it heats up it works it’s way down to minimal acceptable. (13.0-13.2). Any ideas? No trouble running and it does charge the battery.

Kind of hijacking my thread, maybe, just a little bit.. Can you please make your own post about the problem you are having, as it is quite bit different than mine..?

Acacia

Reaction score
93 Silverado K1500 Ext cab short bed 5.7 TBI Automatic 4x4- What are some of the 1st things that come to mind on the battery going dead pretty much overnight? I did find that the interior cab light on the ceiling and the light under the dash box would not shut off, so I removed the bulbs, still have a dead short going on. I have a test light between the negative battery terminal and the negative cable end and the light is staying lit, scratch the battery terminal with the cable end and it sparks strongly. What are some things that others have encountered?

Do you have a trailer brake controller attatched to your battery? thats what caused the battery to drain on my truck, maybe its your issue to? im not sure tho for 100%