Key Fob Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bouncytruck

Reaction score
I just got new Key Fobs for my 97 Suburban. I programmed them (with steps I found online) and they were both working fine. The other day, one of them stopped working. I confirmed it wasn't the battery so I went out and reprogrammed both the keys. The locks clicked when I had the jumper between the #4 & #8 port and again when I pushed the lock and unlock for the first fob, but nothing when I did the second. I pulled the paperclip and neither of them works. I repeated the programing steps and can get each of the keys to program (locks and unlocks) individually, but neither works when I remove the jumper.

I did recently have to recharge my battery because I left the fog lights on. Could that have caused an issue?

Is there a way to reset the whole system?

You must be registered for see images

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I had a problem when I did my '98. What I ended doing was, Install the paper clip and hold the fob buttons until the locks cycled and then immediately hold the buttons on #2 fob without doing any thing else and wait until the locks cycle. Mine took almost a minute and a half before the second fob programmed. Be patient.

Bouncytruck

Reaction score
I had a problem when I did my '98. What I ended doing was, Install the paper clip and hold the fob buttons until the locks cycled and then immediately hold the buttons on #2 fob without doing any thing else and wait until the locks cycle. Mine took almost a minute and a half before the second fob programmed. Be patient.
Thanks. All the info online said you have to do the second fob within 30 seconds of the first and it takes about 15 seconds. I'll give this a try.

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got new Key Fobs for my 97 Suburban. I programmed them (with steps I found online) and they were both working fine. The other day, one of them stopped working. I confirmed it wasn't the battery so I went out and reprogrammed both the keys. The locks clicked when I had the jumper between the #4 & #8 port and again when I pushed the lock and unlock for the first fob, but nothing when I did the second. I pulled the paperclip and neither of them works. I repeated the programing steps and can get each of the keys to program (locks and unlocks) individually, but neither works when I remove the jumper.

I did recently have to recharge my battery because I left the fog lights on. Could that have caused an issue?

Is there a way to reset the whole system?

You must be registered for see images

That is an amazing burban by the way. I had an issue with mine that seemed to make only my driver side door lock and unlock now. I would try re doing them and like he said be patient it does take a while for it to register sometimes.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Where did you get these key fobs? Are they ACDelco fobs or cheap fobs off of Ebay/Amazon? If they don't program in less than 2-3 minutes, then I'm guessing the key fobs' circuit boards failed, which unfortunately, you might need to buy new ones.

Sick Burb btw, is that a stainless steel bug shield?

Bouncytruck

Reaction score
Where did you get these key fobs? Are they ACDelco fobs or cheap fobs off of Ebay/Amazon? If they don't program in less than 2-3 minutes, then I'm guessing the key fobs' circuit boards failed, which unfortunately, you might need to buy new ones.

Sick Burb btw, is that a stainless steel bug shield?

Thanks. They are Amazon fobs. Maybe I should just return them and hunt for the real thing :(

Bouncytruck

Reaction score
By the way, I think the bug shield is aluminum. It's a Lund and it tends to get pressure dents easy - like from slightly pushing on it when I open the hood. :(