Keep the 14 bolt or swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckinThruTEXAS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone here done a disk brake swap on these? I know that's one way of significantly dropping weight. If so what parts were used?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A disc brake swap is possible but there isn't any good way to retain the parking brake if that's important to you.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Lots of options.

Can be done with both OEM and aftermarket parts.

Too many to list, just give 'er a google.

:)

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Not to be mean at all but I think if you are that worried about weight and gas mileage in the city you definitely bought the wrong truck hahaha

TruckinThruTEXAS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be mean at all but I think if you are that worried about weight and gas mileage in the city you definitely bought the wrong truck hahaha

Ehhh it's a project not my daily I don't touch that one lol I'm more on shaving some weight gas mileage just happen to be part of the deal.

TruckinThruTEXAS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's wrong with increasing gas mileage anyway? -_____-

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
What's wrong with increasing gas mileage anyway? -_____-

Nothing at all wrong with it.

But a rule of thumb is every 100 lbs you drop is worth roughly 1 mpg.

Swapping discs for drums saves about 50 lbs, 0.5 mpg on a good day.

You'd end up with a frame, engine and seat before you got any significant increase. Even then, it takes a certain minimum amount of fuel to run a 350.

You can expect a 2-3 mpg jump usually if the truck is as light as possible, as healthy as possible and driven as lightly as possible. That means going from approx 15 mpg to 17-18 mpg, nothing to sneeze at for a 2500. The majority of that is the driving style though, not the truck.

This is why guys are saying you're starting with the wrong vehicle if you are concerned with mpg.

:)

Nash

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone here done a disk brake swap on these? I know that's one way of significantly dropping weight. If so what parts were used?

I have a 14b SF and plan to swap to disc brakes. I am using disc brakes from 06 Tahoe ( caliper dual piston and e brake.) I had to buy 60 mm spacer for the disc brakes to bolt up. Rear disc from 01 up will work. It depends on size of rims you have as to years to get.