K&N Cold Air Intake reviews.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
I would like to get a cold air intake for my k1500 with the 5.7 vortec. But I have read reviews on different websites that the tube tends to pop off the throttle body. I have a K&N on my jeep Cherokee and am satisfied with it. But on the chevys there are MAFs which I hear don't like hot air that some people claim is all a cold air intake really gets you.

If anyone has advice that'd be awesome [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
CAI's don't do squat. Only sound and look good. Save your money and get a cheap ebay or amazon one if you must. The brand names are ridiculously expensive for what the "claim" to do. I'm not trying to start another "CAI myth" debate, but do a little research, you will see.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't waste your money. I have a K&N FIPK on my red truck, and the only reason I haven't taken it off is because I can't find the box I put my factory intake in. The K&N airbox is in no way closed off, so it draws hot air from inside the engine compartment instead of cool air through the hole in the fender. Also K&N filters are TERRIBLE. They flow better than stock because they hardly filter anything at all. Not to mention the oiled gauze design has a tendency to leak oil into the intake and foul up your MAF sensor (ask me how I know...) I threw mine away and replaced it with an Amsoil Ea series conical filter that was the same dimensions.

The factory intakes flow more than plenty of air for these engines, even heavily modified. If you accept this, and still just HAVE to buy a CAI because they look or sound cool, at least get a Volant. They have a closed box and draw cool air from the fender hole, just like the factory setup.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes the main point being - your truck already has "cold air induction" - it draws air through the passenger fender which gets it from ducting in the front just below the passenger park lens.

All an aftermarket CAI does is ligthen your wallet and add some noise.

Richard

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Don't waste your money. I have a K&N FIPK on my red truck, and the only reason I haven't taken it off is because I can't find the box I put my factory intake in. The K&N airbox is in no way closed off, so it draws hot air from inside the engine compartment instead of cool air through the hole in the fender. Also K&N filters are TERRIBLE. They flow better than stock because they hardly filter anything at all. Not to mention the oiled gauze design has a tendency to leak oil into the intake and foul up your MAF sensor (ask me how I know...) I threw mine away and replaced it with an Amsoil Ea series conical filter that was the same dimensions.

The factory intakes flow more than plenty of air for these engines, even heavily modified. If you accept this, and still just HAVE to buy a CAI because they look or sound cool, at least get a Volant. They have a closed box and draw cool air from the fender hole, just like the factory setup.
Does that oil really foul the MAF sensor? Because I have a normal K&N filter in my stock airbox

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does that oil really foul the MAF sensor? Because I have a normal K&N filter in my stock airbox

Yes, it absolutely does. Mine threw a check engine light over it multiple times, had to take the intake apart and clean the MAF. I used to run a drop-in K&N filter as well before I stupidly bought the FIPK, the drop in only did it once while the FIPK with conical filter did it two or three times.

I'd take that filter out and go back to a standard paper element filter if I were you. Oiled gauze filters are nothing but headaches.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would clean the maf regularly anyway it is how the computer measures load which determines how a 4l60e shifts meant a dirty maf could kill a transmission. a tps that is malfunctioning will do it quick also.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
lets think about it, why would you oil a filter it its designed for air. the theroy that you can reclean it is great but your paying 4x the amount of a paper and all the oil is gonna do is attract dirt and make it dirtier. by the third time you have to clean the fancy filter its junik and time to replace it. so now your replacing this one at the same time your buying a new paper one but the paper one helped you save 20 bucks.

can it foul the maf? yes, its oil and dirt if it gets stuck to the sensor how is it gonna come off?

as was said, stock is already a cold air. keep the stock and check your filter regualrly as your suppose to and your better off.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
I would clean the maf regularly anyway it is how the computer measures load which determines how a 4l60e shifts meant a dirty maf could kill a transmission. a tps that is malfunctioning will do it quick also.
Well I have the nv3500 5 speed

Red Bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please tell me where the "maf" is located and can I clean it with injector cleaner or something like seafoam?
Thx