Just a bit of a 5 AM curiosity question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joelvv

Reaction score
Not saying you are not right but I have not seen a SF 8-lug rear or atleast it is not common. On the Express vans atleast there were 2 different 2500 models. One had 6 lug wheels, a SF 9.5" and a 4L60E and then there was the 8-lug, FF 10.5" with a 4L80E. Depended on the GVW you choose.
8 lug, 9.5" SF axles are VERY common. There were a ton of them on the GMT400 trucks. I'd say most 2500 8 lug trucks had them. All 2500 trucks were 8600lb GVWR, regardless of whether they had a SF or FF rear end. They were also used exclusively on GMT800 2500 (non HD) and 1500HD, both of which had an 8600lb GVWR.
To the OP: The 9.5 is an excellent rear end, and would LIKELY hold up to a 454 towing, but the 10.5 would be better. No difference in the transmissions. All 8 lug trucks have a 4L80E. The only time a 4L80E was different is in the 3500HD. Something else to consider is if you buy a truck with a 454, it should come factory with hydroboost.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 95 has the 350/NV3500 combo and has a SF 14 bolt. A buddy of mine has a 93 with a 6.5?/NV4500 with a FF 14 bolt. Im not saying that both of them are one of a kind but that kinda shoots your comment of them being all the same out of the air. And yes both are 2500 trucks.

Is you truck 8 lug? I know the nv3500 wasn't available in trucks with GVWR greater than 8500, I just recently learned they were available behind 350's at all lol.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is you truck 8 lug? I know the nv3500 wasn't available in trucks with GVWR greater than 8500, I just recently learned they were available behind 350's at all lol.
Yes it is an 8 lug. I ran the rpo codes the other day and it says that it has the nv4500 code if i read it right. So i am guessing that sometime in its past it got a nv3500 put in it. The trans shop that put it in said that everything looked original when they put the clutch in so I don't know. So now i feel kinda like an ass for stating something that is possibly not true.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it is an 8 lug. I ran the rpo codes the other day and it says that it has the nv4500 code if i read it right. So i am guessing that sometime in its past it got a nv3500 put in it. The trans shop that put it in said that everything looked original when they put the clutch in so I don't know. So now i feel kinda like an ass for stating something that is possibly not true.

I just asked out of curiosity, I wouldn't put it past GM at all...

everything I can find points to the C6P RPO code (8500 GVWR) trucks having a semi floater with a 350.

To the OP, the 9.5 is a fairly strong rear end, I wouldn't shy away from your plan JUST because of the rear end. I don't know much about vortec trucks, but if you find a TBI small block truck and swap over a 454 TBI engine, it's literally bolt up and plug and play. You have to re wire like 1 connector, and can just swap in the PROM chip from the 454 truck if both are 4l80e.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just asked out of curiosity, I wouldn't put it past GM at all...

everything I can find points to the C6P RPO code (8500 GVWR) trucks having a semi floater with a 350.

To the OP, the 9.5 is a fairly strong rear end, I wouldn't shy away from your plan JUST because of the rear end. I don't know much about vortec trucks, but if you find a TBI small block truck and swap over a 454 TBI engine, it's literally bolt up and plug and play. You have to re wire like 1 connector, and can just swap in the PROM chip from the 454 truck if both are 4l80e.

^^^
Local wrecking yard had a new arrival of a 1995 G30 van. Was going to snag the 4L80E out of it. Only problem is GM built it with a 4L60E. What a let down to discover on a 1/2 off day! I thought I was going to get a $100 4L80E.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
^^^
Local wrecking yard had a new arrival of a 1995 G30 van. Was going to snag the 4L80E out of it. Only problem is GM built it with a 4L60E. What a let down to discover on a 1/2 off day! I thought I was going to get a $100 4L80E.

I gave $120 for mine when I swapped. :cool:

OP I wouldn't bother with the swap, I'd just get the 454 right off the bat. Then you don't have to hunt down a full floater, possibly not have hydroboost, and have to deal with finding a good engine plus harness and accessories if you're doing a Vortec. If you can, get the 1 ton. They had an upper overload spring out back and a bigger radiator even on the small blocks. They also got a stronger transfer case, but I don't know that it was a weak point on the 2500. Still a higher likelihood of getting a floater with a 350 vs a 2500.

Last edited:

Cpufreak101

Reaction score
I gave $120 for mine when I swapped. :cool:

OP I wouldn't bother with the swap, I'd just get the 454 right off the bat. Then you don't have to hunt down a full floater, possibly not have hydroboost, and have to deal with finding a good engine plus harness and accessories if you're doing a Vortec. If you can, get the 1 ton. They had an upper overload spring out back and a bigger radiator even on the small blocks. They also got a stronger transfer case, but I don't know that it was a weak point on the 2500. Still a higher likelihood of getting a floater with a 350 vs a 2500.
possibly stupid question, but were there any non-dually 3500's made? all the 3500's I ever see are DRW.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, yeah cause the SRW is why I mentioned 2500 specifically, as the DRW is a bit wide for both my driving skill and some roads I'd intend on going down
DRW trucks are not that bad to drive. They do have some issue in mud and snow from what Ive noticed. I do drive a 26000 gvw straight truck at work and I shoehorn it into places that I have no business driving it in lol. Ive had my supervisor bring me parts I didn't have and he gets to me and asks how I got into where I did. He drives a Colorado