Jasper Engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, that is why I said "sometimes". One bad employee can cause all kinds of problems. That is why, when I ran shops, if I had a "prima dona" type tech, I would first talk away from the other techs and find out if something in his life had changed after I had hired him. Sometimes, that is the problem and the tech can be saved. But if he/she just decided they did not want to do what they promised they would do in the interview, I would let them go. that one bad tech attitude can cause all kinds of problems in a shop and contaminate the other techs. I saw it happen when I was a tech before I became a service manager/writer/advisor.
I had my own shop for 14yrs and never could find anyone with the same OCD as me so I never had any employees. Fortunately is was a small town and I was able to keep up with the demand.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had my own shop for 14yrs and never could find anyone with the same OCD as me so I never had any employees. Fortunately is was a small town and I was able to keep up with the demand.
That is why I now wrench out of my house and at my friend's shop about 15 miles away. He is as OCD as I am and does excellent work. He has a one man shop and needs help at times to keep up. That is why, in my other GARAGE thread, that I am tearing down and swapping out an engine in his shop. I was only at shops in KC, Mo. and had access to shop lifts for my side work but I wrenched on my riding buddies Harley's quite a bit. I had a small bike lift and had all my tools at home. Spent some late nights drinking beer and wrenching on bikes......good times.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I was in KC, Mo., I spent time in the trenches as a mechanic. Tech names came later. I dealt with all the rust and the creative ways to work around it. I did want to own my own small 3-4 bay shop but the rent, equipment and insurance were $$$$ that I could not swing to make it all happen. When I started running shops, the pace was different and it was way less damage to the body on a daily basis. I just got in a groove and ran shops in Mo. and OR for 35+ years and lost the desire to own my own shop. I gotta say, doing it at home, is fine with me and being able to turn down what I don't want to do, is great. With tech shortages the way they are, I can be as busy or unbusy as I want. I also like helping out at the shop in JC. I use his tools, come in when I want and choose the days I want.