99 GMC Suburban K1500 SLT 4X4 - The Everlasting Gobstopper Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Here's my 219,000 mile 99 GMC Suburban that I picked up a few weeks back. Needed an engine so the original owner traded the title for $300. This won't be a fast build, hence the gobstopper reference. That's a candy from a classic movie in 71 for the uncultured. :wink: Yeah, I know, Depp did one too but I like my childhood original better.. Fight me. :anitoof:

The idea is to get it mechanically restored before the fun stuff begins. Already put a 5.7 Jasper crate engine in. Transmission has less than 30k so a fluid/filter change is all it should need. Had a new windshield installed due to a full width crack.

Brake fluid is black so that will need a flush once I figure out how to get the three sheered off bleeders out and replaced. The hope is that will lessen the squish in the brake pedal.

Gonna need ball joints at least and whatever else I find while I'm doing that.

You must be registered for see images attach

I've already done some work on the dent on the driver side rear. Got one of those paintless dent repair hot glue gun kits. After one session it's smaller but still needs more work. I ordered the rear bumper step pad but the bumper is bent just enough to not let the pad sit square. A new bumper may be in order but that will come later.

The interior is clean and we just had the carpets cleaned and everything detailed. My wife surprised me with having that done. I think she's just happy that I'm not driving her Escape out into the boonies for astronomy trips anymore. And a Suburban will be a lot more comfortable to sleep in than the back seat of a Ford Escape!

Engine compartment was pretty dirty so I'm working on cleaning it up bit by bit.

Front and rear differentials, transmission and transfer case are all getting fresh fluids. Rear diff fluid smelled burned. But it cleaned up and the magnet on the case cover didn't have much in the way of shavings. I've seen worse. A razor blade and ultra fine sanding pad cleaned up the gasket surfaces.

At the advice of the tech who did the engine install, everything is getting the Royal treatment. If it's good enough for his truck, it's good for me. :waytogo: Fun fact: Royal Purple is actually purple.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Here's my 219,000 mile 99 GMC Suburban that I picked up a few weeks back. Needed an engine so the original owner traded the title for $300. This won't be a fast build, hence the gobstopper reference. That's a candy from a classic movie in 71 for the uncultured. :wink: Yeah, I know, Depp did one too but I like my childhood original better.. Fight me. :anitoof:

The idea is to get it mechanically restored before the fun stuff begins. Already put a 5.7 Jasper crate engine in. Transmission has less than 30k so a fluid/filter change is all it should need. Had a new windshield installed due to a full width crack.

Brake fluid is black so that will need a flush once I figure out how to get the three sheered off bleeders out and replaced. The hope is that will lessen the squish in the brake pedal.

Gonna need ball joints at least and whatever else I find while I'm doing that.

I've already done some work on the dent on the driver side rear. Got one of those paintless dent repair hot glue gun kits. After one session it's smaller but still needs more work. I ordered the rear bumper step pad but the bumper is bent just enough to not let the pad sit square. A new bumper may be in order but that will come later.

The interior is clean and we just had the carpets cleaned and everything detailed. My wife surprised me with having that done. I think she's just happy that I'm not driving her Escape out into the boonies for astronomy trips anymore. And a Suburban will be a lot more comfortable to sleep in than the back seat of a Ford Escape!

Engine compartment was pretty dirty so I'm working on cleaning it up bit by bit.

Front and rear differentials, transmission and transfer case are all getting fresh fluids. Rear diff fluid smelled burned. But it cleaned up and the magnet on the case cover didn't have much in the way of shavings. I've seen worse. A razor blade and ultra fine sanding pad cleaned up the gasket surfaces.

At the advice of the tech who did the engine install, everything is getting the Royal treatment. If it's good enough for his truck, it's good for me. :waytogo: Fun fact: Royal Purple is actually purple.

Very nice rig! And a Burb definitely has lots more room than most any other SUV.
That interior looks very good after the detailing. I would say the front seats have been recovered, because the GM leather interior buckets usually don't look that pristine after this much time. Both of my '99 Burbs had that interior, the current one in gray/neutral and the previous one in tan.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Those are slip over seat covers instead of recoverings. The seats underneath look like you would expect for a 24 year old daily. My backside doesn't care that they are covers... :cool:
Good to know that they are available. I'm half considering putting the velour upholstery in the Burb, like the crew cab has. It has the split bench in front and a regular "front" seat in the second row. Only thing I don't like about it, is it doesn't fold up or down like the newer trucks do.....