It's lower. Now I need new wheels.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finished up lowering my 1988 RCSB. I used Belltech spindles with cut 3/4 ton springs in the front. I was going for a 3ish inch drop in the front but I cut too much and ended up with almost 4. In the back I used Belltech lowering leaf springs planning for a 4 inch drop, but since the front came down too much, I threw on a lowering shackle for another inch. Still only ended up with about 4 3/4 inches.

Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

After:

Since it's lower than I expected, I now have a problem with my front tires. They're 17x9 Soft 8's with 255/50R17 tires. They're sticking out beyond the fender lip.

Will a 17x8 Soft 8 bring these in enough to clear? How about with a narrower (235 or even 225) tire? Or is it time get a different set of wheels?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
It's the BellTech spindles.
They widen the track by about 3/4".
The original design of dropped spindles for these trucks. Back then, a 17" wheel was considered big. B/T did this intentionally so the wheels would clear the lower control arms.
McGaughys for sure & there's other's (Western Chassis? No exp. Dunno.) that do not push the wheels out like the B/T's do.
CMS spindles (Canuck MotorSports) are a B/T copy.
Only cure, short of different spindles would be a set of wheels with a different offset, or a shorter tire.
But too small of a tire can look kinda weird, too. When I first got the 17" Impala SS wheels, they had the Impala sized 255/50's on them. W-a-y too small! Althought they're on a truck that's only @ 2/4. That doesn't help.
My black truck is also @ 4" in the front & I run 255/45-20's. With a little different off-set than stock. I have no idea what that actual number is. I told the sales guy what I had, what was done to it with which parts along with what I wanted. He handled the rest.
The fenders are rolled & all the protruding bolt ends ground down inside the wheel wells.
Only spot the tires rub is at the bottom rear of the firewall/wheel wells. But I have to really compress the suspension before that happens. My 15's, 275/60's, will do that too.

255/50's. ich!