is this even repairable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DHGFX4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My driver seat seems to have a broken hinge.. or something. The base is still tight, its just the seat back. As you can see its got the gangster lean, and the reclining mechanism is broken too, as it will go all the way back but will only lock in the position its in.
You must be registered for see images

I can twist it foward by pulling on it too..

Is finding a new seat in the junkyard and having my leather switched over my only option? Its almost impossible to find a heated one.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
You could see if the pivot bolt is broken, but the rest of the seat looks pretty trashed IMO... might be better to get another seat, period. 4 bolts and you are good to go, might even be able to find a leather one in your color. Even the netting on the back of the seat is stretched right out.

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just saw a 2-tone power/heated seat at a local yard. $50 for it. I didn't pick it up because it was only the driver side and if I'm replacing seats, I'm replacing both. Where are you located?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You have a broken frame. They are just made outa 1/2" tube, & stamped out metal pans.
The basic frame is the same in all the seats of this shape. Just the foam is different for the different styles of stitching.
Swapping your cover & foam onto another frame is easy enough.
Heaters are built into the foam that you have, so the donor does not have to have that. The electric adjustment part is in the base/tracks, so the donor does not need that either!
Find another that is the worst, most torn up, dog-eaten seat in the yard. The cover is unimportant. The frame is the part you want. That'll get you the best deal!
Or, you could tear down that seat & re-weld all that is broken, if you have access to a welder & are capable. Additional bracing can be added at that time, too.

DHGFX4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If finding a replacement seat was that easy. A two tone heated one is quite hard to come by. And these only game in grey, or neutral (tan) so which color would pewter be considered? I am located in central virginia though.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Looks like Al is on the money with a broken seat back frame.

I've fixed them before by puling the upholstery off, welding and slipping it all back together.

Good as new.

DHGFX4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a broken frame. They are just made outa 1/2" tube, & stamped out metal pans.
The basic frame is the same in all the seats of this shape. Just the foam is different for the different styles of stitching.
Swapping your cover & foam onto another frame is easy enough.
Heaters are built into the foam that you have, so the donor does not have to have that. The electric adjustment part is in the base/tracks, so the donor does not need that either!
Find another that is the worst, most torn up, dog-eaten seat in the yard. The cover is unimportant. The frame is the part you want. That'll get you the best deal!
Or, you could tear down that seat & re-weld all that is broken, if you have access to a welder & are capable. Additional bracing can be added at that time, too.

Well my heater doesnt work either. I guess the heating element is worn out. Are is there a how to or write up on how to swap covers and foam?

Im pretty savvy with a wrench but have never messed with upholstery.

If i had to buy a new seat id prefer to have my heat back. Ifi can just fix mine fore free i can live without it.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Any GMT400 seat of that shape will work. You just need to swap the foam & cover that you have now onto a different frame.
There's nothing wrong with your cover. The seat color of the frame donor is unimportant.
Those seats came in Escalades, Denallis, Extra cabs, & Crews. Don't know what Virginia is like for wrecking yards, but around here, those seats can be picked up for around $50.00. And that's for a nice one. Ones with trashed covers, cheaper. Probably cheaper than getting your's welded if you have to get someone to do that for you
If you need/want some direction with the cover re-&-re, I'm more than willing to help you out.
I've been doing restorations & custom interiors in vehicles for (cough!) 35 years. Stuff like this is easy-peasy, & I can walk you through the whole procedure. No charge! LOL!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Ha! You posted while I was stumbling along with my 2-finger typing technique! I'm better with a pair of shears!
Seat heaters stop working for a couple of reasons. The little heating element wires have broken & because they are embedded in to foam, that's the end of their life span.
Or...the switch itself has quit working. Usually from corrosion from 'something' being spilled on it. Dirt &/or broken wires will cause them to quit, too.
Heated seats are not usually any more expensive than non-heated ones. It's the power tracks that'll cost ya.
If you NEED the heaters, then you will have to find a seat with the same design. There were several different styles. Again, color won't matter.

DHGFX4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any GMT400 seat of that shape will work. You just need to swap the foam & cover that you have now onto a different frame.
There's nothing wrong with your cover. The seat color of the frame donor is unimportant.
Those seats came in Escalades, Denallis, Extra cabs, & Crews. Don't know what Virginia is like for wrecking yards, but around here, those seats can be picked up for around $50.00. And that's for a nice one. Ones with trashed covers, cheaper. Probably cheaper than getting your's welded if you have to get someone to do that for you
If you need/want some direction with the cover re-&-re, I'm more than willing to help you out.
I've been doing restorations & custom interiors in vehicles for (cough!) 35 years. Stuff like this is easy-peasy, & I can walk you through the whole procedure. No charge! LOL!

I have access to a welder. Unfortunately junkyards around here have set prices regardless of condition. I think ultimately just having my current seat repaired sounds like the best choice. And yes, i would love some directions with the cover re-&-re