IRS in a gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shwa Kid

Reaction score
Those mounts are not done they will be supported better soon. The third gen sat in someone’s yard for 15 years, previous owner(a family member of mine) was able to pick it up for free. He put a few parts on it and then sold it to me. It has a large number of issues but most are cosmetic. Besides the engine being due for a rebuild. It runs but has a misfire and smokes.
Looks like an awesome deal, should be a fun project.

Have you test fit CV shafts yet? I know the GMT900's managed to just sneak by beside the shaft, but your cantilever design should allow tons of space.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like an awesome deal, should be a fun project.

Have you test fit CV shafts yet? I know the GMT900's managed to just sneak by beside the shaft, but your cantilever design should allow tons of space.
Yes I test fit the CV shafts this morning. The boot just barely touches the tube going up to the cantilever but only when turned full lock and drooped down a bit. I am going to add a spacer to push the bottom heim out maybe 3/8” and it will have plenty of room then.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figured I would start on the fenders while I’m waiting on a few other parts. I’m still tweaking the shape but it’s coming along. I’m trying to keep a somewhat factory appearance but with the extra width I need to prevent rubbing on bumps. Yes I know the camber is very excessive in the pics, I have since changed it to 2 degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_1724.jpeg
    IMG_1724.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1723.jpeg
    IMG_1723.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 33

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
back to school 4 days a week so that’s definitely slowed me down but I’m making some progress. I’m not completely happy with the fender but I also don’t want to remake it. I think it looks fine but it might still rub under a hard turn and hitting a bump. I didn’t want to make it wider because I didn’t like how it looked.

Attachments

• IMG_1751.jpeg
    IMG_1751.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1752.jpeg
    IMG_1752.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1753.jpeg
    IMG_1753.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 30

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
back to school 4 days a week so that’s definitely slowed me down but I’m making some progress. I’m not completely happy with the fender but I also don’t want to remake it. I think it looks fine but it might still rub under a hard turn and hitting a bump. I didn’t want to make it wider because I didn’t like how it looked.
I did a similar job a long time ago and I removed the coil before I started so that I could articulate the wheel through all its positions to check for clearance with just a jack under the lower control arm and the car would stay sitting level.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a similar job a long time ago and I removed the coil before I started so that I could articulate the wheel through all its positions to check for clearance with just a jack under the lower control arm and the car would stay sitting level.
Forgot to mention that it looks great.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Better than I could do.

You could camber the wheels in. I have gotten away with up to -1.5 degrees on the street without killing tires too quickly. After -2 degrees I get around 15-20k miles before the cords are showing, but usually I use them up on the track way before that happens.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a bit of progress recently. Alternators are mounted although I’m still not sure how to wire them together properly. Battery is mounted to the frame under the bed. Everything suspension related is at least tacked into place. Steering is all hooked up. I have not replicated the fender on the passenger side yet. Haven’t decided if I want to remake it or go to a shorter tire but i know if I leave it, it will rub in certain situations. I think the best option is to remake it but if I make it wide enough to prevent rubbing, I don’t think I can retain that factory type look I was going for. I didn’t plan on going for that crazy wide body look but that might be what I end up with.

Attachments

• IMG_1866.jpeg
    IMG_1866.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1865.jpeg
    IMG_1865.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1862.jpeg
    IMG_1862.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1867.jpeg
    IMG_1867.jpeg